Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Ford truck to coupe Interchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matlack, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Matlack

Matlack

What will it take to put a 46-48 Ford flathead out of a truck into a 46-48 Ford coupe? I hope it is just the waterpumps.

Will the radiator work also?

Are the trannys the same except for the top loader for the truck?

thanks

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I am pretty sure it's a direct bolt in - aside from the pumps. I think the truck pumps would just make the engine sit higher.

3. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

'48 would be the 8RT style and has a different bellhousing but should bolt up. Ford changed the truck motors for 1948 similar to the 8BA passenger cars of 1949 and up. Water outlets on the front of the heads not the middle.

'46 & '47 would be direct replacements except for mounts and yoy may have to use '46-'47 passenger car pumps and mounts.

Jim

4. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Trannies are not identical. Ford went with the open driveshaft setup in pickup trucks beginning with 1942 models. The toploader gearbox case is the same. If you already have a 46-48 passenger car trans (and you don't want to use it for some reason), you would have to swap out the mainshaft and rear mount between the two to allow you to connect to the closed drive torque tube setup on the 46-48 car.

The car would have had a side cover (column shifter) version of the 3 speed trans. The trucks typically were toploaders with a floor shift. There were some subtle differences between the 1942-44 pickup trannies and the 46-50 versions (slightly different mainshaft and synchro assy). Swapping the parts would mean being sure to use the same synchro assy that was on the mainshaft you choose to use. In essence....keep the car synchro with the car mainshaft when you swap it into the truck trans.

This assumes the trannies have the correct match of internal parts in the first place...... You know how that can go.

My transmission book covers all this if you want to get into the swap yourself and aren't sure what you're doing.

5. rschilp

rschilp

Matlack, I'm local to you and have done these swaps before and have all the parts needed to get the truck engine/trans into the car. Contact me if you want help, or need parts.

6. flatjack

flatjack

46 and 47 car and truck pumps should be the same.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If a '48, upper hoses at front, the truck version of the late engine is the closest approach to a direct bolt-in you will find in late flatheads.
    Hoses at top are smaller than early...old day cure was to buy a single hose in small, cut the ends off, and use those to sleeve the outlets up to right size for an early diameter hose. Current tech would be one of the spacers available from all the hose companies that do the same thing but are made right and a bit softer. If using cutoffs, use gasket cement and double hose clamps.

8. The radiators in cars and trucks are also different.
    Matt