Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead ford coil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39 chevy kustom, Mar 9, 2009.

1. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

I have used the search and still can't find what I am after. 1953 ford 8ba flathead 6 volt positive ground , the wire from the points and condenser , which post on the coil does it go to , pos. or neg. every diagram i see dosen't show. They just show the wires going to the coil . This my be a simple question ,but this is my first flatty and I am learning as I go . Thanks

2. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

It is backwards, so the dist connects to the (+) side. and the Ign resistor to the (-) side.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Remember...the points are on the GROUND side of the coil.

4. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

thanks guys , That is what I was thinking. It was backwards . Would this do damage ot the coil or ignition system if you were trying to start it with the wires wrong. Got a deal on this car cause they could not get it going. Thanks

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Coil would function but be very weak. I don't think there would be damage.

6. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Thanks very much . I hope to try getting it fired up this afternoon . Thanks again

7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, don't forget, there is NO DIFFERENCE between 6 & 12 volt coils!!!!!!---------Don

8. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

I needed this.

9. silversink

silversink

No diff. in 12 volt and 6 volt coils except some have internal resisters some dont. You can use any coil without the internal resister.

10. Ole don

Ole don

A sure fire (poor choice of words) way to tell if polarity is correct. Take a plain old lead pencil, and tape up the metal eraser holder. Pull the coil wire or any plug wire, and have a helper spin over the starter while you hold a wire 3/8 inch from ground. Stick the pencil lead in the spark. There will be orange spark and blue spark. If the blue part goes to ground the polarity is right, if the blue goes back, its wrong. This works on any voltage coil. If you do a poor job of insulating the end of the pencil, you may let go sooner rather than later.