Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead fans; Need a source for thick head gaskets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralph Moore, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I'm looking for a source for .100 or .125 thick head gaskets(I'm guessing these would be copper) for a 59 A block. 38-48 style. Tried several parts distributors and no luck.
    A couple years ago I saw some at a swap meet in Texas, but didn't get the guys name. I know someone out there has to make them.
    I called Red's and he said there may be a guy in the Denver area that deals in alot of Ardun stuff as well.

Thanks,

Ralph

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why? You can run two gaskets with a suitable selant between such as hylomar.that will give you 120 thou . I have made my own out of aluminium again with a quality selant. Takes a while to whiitle out the various holes . I only used it because my aftermarket heads were planed down way too much.
    With correct engine setup you shouldnt need to run thick gaskets.

3. rchandler

rchandler

SCE Gaskets in Lancaster, CA. They make solid copper gaskets in various thicknesses. Look them up on the internet. Even if the gasket you need is not listed on their internet catalog, call them. They have patterns for everything and can usually make what you need.

4. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

got the same problem, heads shaved too much. I would rather not run doubles if I can help it. I'll check out SCE, thanks.

5. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I had the same situation with a set of Edmunds heads on our 59A-B a couple of years ago. Had a local machine shop take too much material out. Ended up sending the heads to H & H Flatheads to be re-domed. Cost me a bunch of money, but in the end it was worth it.