Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead fan noise

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by twostickmutt, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Mac VP

Mac VP

No warranty from PowerGen if you mount a fan on their generator/alternator product. It uses regular ball bearings.

2. 39wagon

39wagon

I ran into this same kind of problem with my '39 Standard with the stock engine. The PO had installed a Honda (?) alternator on a homemade bracket with the fan running off of it. Worked fine. I changed out the intake manifold for a 4bbl carb and since the manifold's mounting for the generator was offset, I had to modify the bracket in order to get the fan back in the center of the radiator. In doing this, I unknowingly raised the alternator about 1/16" higher than it had been in the previous set up and when I fired the engine up, there was this REALLY loud screeching noise coming from the alternator/fan area. Turns out that the fan was hitting/scraping the underside of the radiator's upper tank. Had to make a new bracket to lower the alternator and also had to find a shorter fan belt. As you probably know, Ford made the radiator tanks for the cars of this engine/body configuration with a small "dent" in the underside of the upper tank in order to clear the fan. It's out of sight and often overlooked. Anyway, hope this helps.

3. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

You are right. The alternator was just a little higher on my offy 4 bl manifold too . I almost didn't notice how close that fan was to the well in the tank.. I had just a little shorter belt and it lowered it enough. that offset is kind of a pain aint it..

4. jimvette59

jimvette59

Hi I think the Electric fan will work fine. I was just theorizing about the centrifugal fan.

twostickmutt likes this.
  5. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

The centrifugal is a good option if the electric doesn't work though.