Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Exhaust Manifold???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gotit, May 30, 2012.

1. gotit

gotit

I searched a bunch looking for ideas of what stock manifolds will work best on my 48' ford for dual exhaust. I have 8BA truck manifolds, EAB car manifolds and the stock manifolds on the car. They all exit on the front with the EAB manifolds being the worst.

My question is are these manifolds cast iron or cast steel? If they are cast steel I can cut the flanges off of them and flip them to make them work well and weld them back together.

Thank You in advance.

GotIt

2. big M

big M

Pretty sure those manifolds are all cast iron, unfortunately.

---John

3. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

You can make up adapter plates and flip them like I did!

Attached Files:

4. gotit

gotit

I thought about that also but figured I'd need 1/2" plate to make spacers and then i'd never get around the steering box. What thickness of material did you use for the adapters? They look like they work very well

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

I found that the material can be brazed successfully. I just capped off an outlet at the front of a driver side '42 Merc manifold and added a flanged outlet at the rear.

Bob

6. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Yes, cast iron. I have had good luck welding exhaust manifolds with stainless steel rod (stick welding) you must pre-heat and let cool very slowly or it will crack at the weld.

7. Call Chris at Shoeboxford.com. He has the manifolds you need.

8. 1952henry

1952henry

8BA manifolds are not for truck/pickups. Pickup or truck manifolds had the crossover going under the engine, not around the front.

9. ding ding ding we have a winner. cast can be welded. but preheat and cool slowly are the trick as already mentioned.

10. gotit

gotit

The engine came out of an F5 and you are correct. The manifolds are berry different from the 8BA or EAB manifolds I have.

I was looking for an inexpensive alternative for manifolds and spiders web is doing the dual exhaust .

I have thick washers that have a slightly larger hole then the block or manifolds so I am going to try the spacers and see how it works out for me.