Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead engine ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jake//NC\\Mi, Mar 18, 2006.

1. jake//NC\\Mi

jake//NC\\Mi
    from michigan

I have oil coming out of the top of my oil dipstick tube. It seems to be running alright but fouls out my no. 8 spark plug. what should I check first?

2. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

How about some more info here. Ford or Merc V8? What year motor? Venting was different on different years of manufacture.

3. jake//NC\\Mi

jake//NC\\Mi
    from michigan

sorry Its a 1951 ford engine with a two carb intake and it has a pcv valve on it. it didnt seem to do this last summer but since then I added the offy intake and two 94s and a mallory dis. the no. 8 cylinder has a intermedate miss. the truck has been sitting since last oct. but I started it a coulpe of times this winter.

4. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

It seems as though the pcv valve is not working. Was it on there b4 you changed the intake and carbs? If so where was your vaccuum source? And where is it now?

5. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

It would seem that a compression check is in order. #8 may have broken a ring or two or have FOD (Foreign object damage) that was introduced during the manifold change. Good luck!

pigpen

6. jake//NC\\Mi

jake//NC\\Mi
    from michigan

it was on there before and vacuum source is the same spot under the carb in the intake

7. jake//NC\\Mi

jake//NC\\Mi
    from michigan

just did a compression test on all cylinders and they all read 90psi except 8 and 1 was 85psi I didnt think that was bad.

8. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

In that case, a valve guide seal or the guide itself could have deteriorated and it's sucking oil and fowling the plug and then blowing back past the guide on the power stroke. How did the #8 plug look? You'll probably have to pull the head to see exactly what's going on. Also, I got a bad (soft) set of rings from MCF awhile back and my motor started smoking like a freight train after a few hundred miles, and still had decent compression. The oil turned very black, very quickly.

pigpen

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor