Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Flathead electric engine heater?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Crow, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

Pulling the engine out of a 51 M1 pickup and it had a plug in engine heater installed in both sides. The heater rod extend down through head deep into block. When rebuilding do I have to plug beyond bolt or will the head bolt be all that is needed? IMG_20170601_191536.jpg

jhughes76 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. I had one of them in my International motors, I reinstalled it as it looked cool but after 20 years or so it started leaking. I just pulled it out and stuck in a head bolt.

dan c likes this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Permatex # 3 on the bolts & chase the threads.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Just use a standard head bolt. To install one you remove the bolt and replace with the heater. They used to be common here in Canada and no doubt other cold climates.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Use a head bolt.

6. BJR

BJR

When I was growing up in the 50's in Minneapolis almost all cars had either a tank heater or if a flathead, a head bolt heater. At least the ones that sat outside and actually started.

7. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

my ex Canadian 51 ford sedan has one in each head , have been asked what are these sometimes a start of some great conversations

8. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

Thanks. I see they still sell them new, but don't think I would use it. Head bolt with permatex is a good solution.