Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead distributor help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Brando, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Im not good at searching these things so if this is posted somewhere else, I appologize!

I have a nicely warmed up flathead that I would like to replace the original crab distributor with a Mallory. either dual point or electronic. Not decided yet.

My question is how do you go about this? I can't find any good info in a book. Can somoene detail to me the swap of distributors? I think it's fairly simple but then again, I could be way off!

Quick on the flattie: 53 block with early style set up. original Edmunds 2 2's. shaved Edelbrock heads, merc crank. Winfield SU2 cam (new ground from an original) sits in a 32 Ford, set up like a classy old salt car...

Thanks for the help!

Brandon

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

WWW.BUBBASHOTRODSHOP.COM

Depends on what ya are looking for we have them all, vertex magneto, old school mallorys and chevrolet conversion high energy units......

3. Looking for something a little more modern than the original and really just the process to swap it.

4. flthd

flthd

Just a heads up,Ive read the new mallorys dont work well,sumthin to look into.

5. Hot Rod Brando
    Call Bubba ...He has all kinds if Dizzy's..
    I just showed you the great work he did on mine.

Call him, he can advise ,,he is good people,,,,,

6. LjH

LjH

If you have the setup used thru 1948 I believe it is "plug and play" as the drive gear is already on your cam. The engine in my 41PU let go before I could install the electronic Mallory I bought so I have a new in the box never installed unit that I do not need. PM me if you want it. Looking for headers for the 8BA I am putting in the project.

7. Diavolo

Diavolo

Bubba gets another vote. He can make anything you want apparently...

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If you want plug&play, go to a rebuilder like Bubba and get a ford '42-48 type rebuilt and set, either with points or electronic conversion. The Mallory (remember the Ford distributo was designed by Mallory...the current Chinese Mallory's were not) is NOT plug and play unless you like poor prformance and 500 mile tuneup intervals...it is simply a core needing new plastic, non-Mallory sourced points and condensor, and a complete recurve.
    The Ford crab is superior in ALL ways and can be made electronic.

9. shainerman

shainerman

Bruce nailed it. Call Bubba, get good product, get good hot sauce, get popular, get laid, become president. Thats exactly what will happen.

alanp561 likes this.
  10. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I have a electronic Mallory crab distributor on my Tee. I works great, doesn't need a box but you will need a coil to match. I also one of Bubbas distributors on my Roadster it works great also. It was a lot cheaper, and his Hot sauce is good to....

11. Ole don

Ole don

Bubba helped my old Y block turn in to Jack the killer. Very resonably priced, and fast turn around too!

12. moefuzz

moefuzz

I have to agree with Bruce, The original Ford (Mallory) distribs were high quality long lasting units that only needed regular maintenance. The factory Mallorys are a world apart from the crap Mallorys of today.
    Also, There is absolutely no warranty on the chinese made Mallorys and they have too high of a failure rate.
    On the bright side, they do make a mighty good looking door stop.

Have Bubba make build one either with or without electronics.

13. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

has anybody made up a crab style distributor with the regular style mechanical/vacuum advance instead of the old ford vac. advance? or can you convert the early engines to run the later ford setup with HEI chevy dist. Seems it would be simpler and easier to tune. Have searched around but havnt found anything like that. Have a friend that has a 46 Ford stocker and had a MSD crab style dist installed and it runs like crap.

14. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

You can convert to 8BA dist. on an early block, simply change the cam, front cover ,cam drive gear on the crank, water pumps, crank pulley,fan setup..blah blah blah..absolute waste of time. Dont even think of it for the sake of a better distributor.
    The Ford crab setup is FINE. its a mechanical advance dist. with a vacuum retard brake that isnt needed so much with modern fuels. just wind it off. the curve was designed for a flathead. funny that.

I wish everyone would stop chasing their tails with Crab distributors.

LISTEN TO BRUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Or you can do it yourself just turn down an old chev dist or chev mallory dual point and install a pertronix if you want elect. really an easy job if you have acess to a lathe, just re set the advance to no more than 24 deg and you have it..........
    see:
    http://www.flatheadv8.org/hei.htm

16. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Love to know how you turn a chev down to fit where a crab dist. was!! he has an early motor setup.... not an 8 BA

17. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I have an 8Ba with a vintage Mallory Double life dizzy, it works great!
    I tried switching to Pertronix and never got it to run!
    I'm sticking with my old school points & condenser.

18. It seems that everyone missed his real question - How to install the distributor.
    1. Turn the engine to TDC #1
    2. Remove the distributor cap and plug wires
    3. Remove the distributor wire to the coil
    4. Remove the 2 or 3 bolts that hold the distributor to the front cover
    5. Turn the shaft of the new distributor so the drive will align with the camshaft
    6. Bolt the new distributor to the front cover
    7. Hold the dist cap to the dist and note where the rotor is pointing, that will be #1
    8. Install the cap and plug wires in the correct firing order
    9. Wire up the new distributor according to the manufacturers instructions

I think that about covers the basics for ya.

alanp561 likes this.
  19. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Sorry. my mistake,---. I had a hard time describing it.
    mainly, asking how to install a late model flathead [49-53] distributor, to an early [32- 48] engine.

lowsquire nailed it

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  20. I have a newer unilite and ran the new billet dual point and haven't had a problem with either.

On the new out of the box dual points you may have to pull the points and rough up the mounting area of the points to get them to stay adjusted. When you change poits its also a good diea to rough them up before installation. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the newer plating process or something.

Bubba is a good place to get your dizzy stuff, but you can get a new mallory from most catalog speed shops. I would stay with GMCBubba myself just to keep it in the family.

21. 36tbird

36tbird

You don't have to pull the cam on a 59A to run a late style dizzy. Speedway offers a gear that you can bolt on to the early cam to make it like an 8BA.

22. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

ok thanx guys, gives me the info I need. I can use the info also as I have a flathead that i,m putting in my 32 sedan. I pulled the heads and found it had a stuck valve, got it unstuck and going to see if it runs.♠♠

23. karasmatic444

karasmatic444
    from NC

Does anyone know if Bubba still does this? I have him book marked but i called and seems hes closed up.

24. He's on here - PM him GMC BUBBA

25. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

He was the 2nd or 3rd post on this thread!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Yes he was, but that was 4 years ago! LOL

27. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's still doing them. Ordered one from him this week. Send him an email from his site or pm him on here.

28. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

YES WE CLOSED THE FUEL INJECTION SHOP.STILL DOING IGNITION WORK SEND A PM OR EMAIL PER PHONE MESSAGE..