Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead clutch question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jebbesen, Sep 14, 2018.

1. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

I was wondering if some of you flathead guys could help me out. I have a "39" top shifting trans behind a 324 Olds. It has the flat plate style adapter and the pilot bearing adapter that moves it toward the trans. What I'm not sure of is whether the adapted setup puts the throwput bearing in the right position relative to the pressure plate. Would one of you be able to measure from the trans mounting surface at the back of your flathead to the flywheel friction surface? I'm curious if I need to space the throw out bearing forward. A couple guys I know have said they needed to. Thanks

UNSHINED 2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Here's my tranny all ready for paint. Well actually I still have to go thru the shift tower to put in all the new detent stuff and leather washer I got from @Mac VP but the main trans is all back together. The tailhousing is a modified 36 Chevy one that'll let me run a slip jointed torque tube kinda early sprint car style. Shifts nicely now. Should be awesome after I get the shifter all serviced. Can't say enough good about the parts and service Van Pelts offers us, not to mention their fantastic website and catalog.

Just need to figure out if I need to modify the throw out setup. 20180914_095053.jpg 20180914_093831.jpg

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  3. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Anyone able to help me out here? Somebody has to have a flathead sitting there they could measure! :)

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

I just measured a 41 engine I have laying in the garage and it is 1-7/8" from the trans mounting surface to the friction surface of the flywheel. Maybe a 1/32" less.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.

5. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Great! Thanks a bunch. I'll have to measure my olds and see how much difference there is. I'll report back. I've had a couple friends say when they ran this setup it made the throwput bearing run close to the end of the bearing retainer which caused it to want to kinda hang up.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  6. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Well I guess I was worrying about nothing. I just used the tail end of my dial caliper to sneak down along side the pressure plate and I measure 2.010 from my adapter plate to the friction surface. I guess I could always turn up an 1/8" thick shim spacer washer if I wanted to for behind the throwput bearing but I doubt it's necessary. Thanks again @alchemy

UNSHINED 2 likes this.