Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Carb Question: Ford vs. Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctor Detroit, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I could use the expertise of the Flathead experts here... Please see the two pictures I have attached.

Picture 1 is my Flathead, an 8BA painted orange. I'm trying to connect my throttle linkage that was on a Merc Flathead into a Ford Flathead carburetor. To make this work, I'll have to do either:
    A) change the linkage between the green arrow and the carb, so it fits both ends, OR
    B) change the piece on the carb (circled in black/orange) to look like the connection in Picture 2.
    C) or is there another option?

Picture 2 is what I want to end up with. I believe it's Merc linkage attached to an 8BA carb.

Do I need to get a different 8BA carb? Or can I just change the circled piece on the carb?

Thank you for your assistance, in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

You can switch the throttle shaft from one carb to the other. By removing the small screws that hold the butterflies to the shaft. But be carefull...strip the heads on gummed up screws and your...well, screwed:eek:

Or you can make another link using the ball socket....Sacramento Vintage, Speedway, and others sell the linkage you need pretty cheap.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It looks like there is a good bit of lateral offset between the two balls, but I think regular early Ford link will fit. You need one that is pretty short, so buy from a Model A dealer that has the coupler fitting to customize length, then loctite or weld the coupler when all is well...you don't want linkage held by set-screws permanently!

Right here...coupler down near bottom of page:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/modelaparts/carbcontrols-1

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Bruce & Rich, thank you for the replies and info.

5. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

DD, PM me your address and I'll send you what you need.

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Dickster, I received the connecting rod you sent. I do appreciate it very much. Thank you.