Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead carb issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AV88, Jul 29, 2012.

1. AV88

AV88

I have a problem I'm hoping you can all help me solve , I have a 8ba flathead with isky 88 cam, bored 60 thou , ported , relieved ,early Navarro heads , and early edelbrock slingshot manifold with two 97s with 41 size jets and when I accelerate quickly from idle it nearly dies and sucks alot of air , every time I take off from standing still I have to get the revs past this flat spot, it's drivable still and is great after taking off but would like to fix this problem still ,I've had all different size jets in ,richer jets fix this problem but make it undrivable with back firing, poping and no power, if anyone has tackled this and has a solution or just ideas to try would be great , ImageUploadedByTJJ1343559574.226854.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1343559697.899354.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1343559846.386513.jpg and here's some pics just coz threads with no pics suck

2. Have you looked at your timing?

3. oj

oj

I think Human Fly is right, carbs get blamed for ignition problems and ignition gets the blame for carb problems.

4. AV88

AV88

No I havnt but will now ..any other ideas are appreciated thanks and also I am running a new Mallory twin point distributor

5. oj

oj

They don't have vacuum do they? How the vacuum was controlling the advance would be the first place taht i wouldv'e looked.
    I guess you have jacked timing into it just to see how the engine responded? When controlling the throttle by hand at the carb, does the motor feel lazy when you open the throttle slow enough that it don't bog? I just get the feeling that says 'no power' and then i jack some timing into it - advance it. This is a simple test to let the motor give you feedback to see where the problem might be.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The new Mallory dual point units have terrible points and condensors. Just look at how the contacts don't line up and how the pivot is one-sided and how weak the springs are. They are also known for shipping with GM advance curves which bring in too much advance for a Flathead.

Swap in a set of Echlin 2300 points and a new condensor.

7. Have you checked the Accelerator pumps and circuits? how bout the mid circuits? i had a similar problem on my way to a cruze 40 miles from home. i limped to the cruze and pulled my carb apart turned out my ventury tubes were pluged. cleaned out the tubes and motored home.

8. AV88

AV88

Your right there's no vacuum advance , I will play some more with advance tommorrow it's been a while since I last messed with all these things as it still drives good and I've just put up with it, I'll answer all those questions and thanks

9. AV88

AV88

I replaced the condenser 5 hours into the first drive because it stopped working (good product) and messed with the advance curve before installing it but I'm thinking these distributors arnt all there ment to be ... Thanks

10. AV88

AV88

I'm pretty sure it's not that here's the history of my car, I first built the whole car with a standard running motor with a different two carb intake and two 48 carbs but the same distributor and it did the same thing and now have rebuilt everything and have two 97s and the edelbrock intake and it does it still ,the carbs were rebuilt by me and I did a thougher cleaning job , the more I'm talking with all you it's making more sense that it's ignition but thanks a bunch

11. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

are you running an electric fuel pump or the stock pump?

12. AV88

AV88

I'm running the stock fuel pump

13. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Check to make sure the accelerator pumps are in time with the throttle plates. If the throttle opens with no fuel you'll have a flat spot.

14. AV88

AV88

Thanks will do , it makes sense

15. flthd31

flthd31

If you head over to "FordBarn" You'll see quite a few threads about problems with these dizzys as mentioned above.
    Here's a link to get you started:
    http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76864&highlight=mallory+bubba

Bubba's Ignition has a lot of experience getting these dizzys to run right. Might want to PM him about sending your in for a redo.

16. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I have a very similar car and engine set up,and had the same problem. When you dumped the throttle quickly it stumbled. Open the throttle in normal easy driving and no problem. The car would pull strong from idle to max RPM's. I finally fixed the problem by disconnecting the pump rod on the back carb. I only use one accel pump. You can see my carb set up on the 97 Heaven web site. That picture was taken 12 years ago,and the carbs have not been touched since. It is a real fun car to drive,with enough power to scare the pants off of you.

17. AV88

AV88

Ok so I've looked at your pic ( I bet there not that pretty anymore haha) is it the first pic you see when opening the web page on a regular dual intake? I can see The push rod is off and the pump rod is just floating there so does no fuel get to the rear half of the motor ? Or is it just running off the idle with no throttle? Thanks for tryin to help

18. AV88

AV88

Very interesting thread since its all about how crap my distributor is but best of all how to fix it and pertronix is looking like the way to go thanks for the link

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Is the gasket between the manifold base and the Y sealing correctly. A new gasket for the tower of the Eddie Meyer setup on my friend's 32 3W made a BIG difference in the roadability on that car when he first got it together.

20. AV88

AV88

I'm 99 % sure it is but will double check thanks

21. A tub

A tub

ash have u looked at ur contact points to see if they are burnt out? they can fire enuf to run but cause this also if, manifold tight? its true what they say bout mech advance in these and say they are gm set up (lazy on mallorys part), basics 1st bro, points may need to be reset (dwell,etc) as thay may have some wear now
    if u can hear a sucking noise find it, maybe spray some carb cleaner or start u bastard over area and see if it idles up, i do this all the time on newer fords as manifold bolts come loose, dont ask why they just do, keep us posted

22. A tub

A tub

forgot to say i have my breaker plate and condenser i just pulled out to put in my pertronix havent used em ill bring em over when i cum c u next sat if ur keen