Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Cams

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345window, Mar 19, 2013.

1. They say the flathead cam wars of yesterday are still alive and well today. Lots of info here and on the other old Ford board, lots of experts wieghing in, lots of books on the subject...and lots of opinions. I've learned a lot lately. I'm leaving this link because I found it interesting and I think it has a place here for people wanting, well, more opinions. I did a search, here and in tech and it didnt come up.

In the end, I selected a Potivn 3/4 for my project - depending who you listen to, I should be afraid fo the duration and the overlap - but what they Hell, we're building hotrods, right?! I'll let you know how that works out for me :) Happy motoring......

http://www.tildentechnologies.com/Cams/FlatheadPerformance.html

2. Interesting reading, thanks.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

21STUD, here on the HAMB, had his cam reground to a 3/4 grind spec. When I heard the car, it sounded like a stock cam. He said he should have gone with the full race grind.

4. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

My 40 with the Merc Flathead has a 400 Jr cam and its great!

5. 8flat

8flat

Interesting, my Max 1 is considered by those guys to be too much duration for the street....here I thought it was on the mild side! HAHA. I met an old timer with an all-flathead car club up in the New England area, he said they finally just started running full race cams in all their cars, and they drive the hell out of them, the sound alone was worth the other sacrifices like torque..haha....I had to chuckle about that.

6. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I had Reed Cams in Ga regrind mine and it is great

7. Well, I'M NO EXPERT (just gettin that out there first)...reading and digesting all there is about cams, I was worried about duration (at .050) being greater than 220 - 225. But I worry to much. I picked the Potvin because the lift seemed manageable for my application, I'm not going racing - just playing - and it has a lot of valve overlap which makes a bunch of the bullshit rumpty rumpty sounding crap we like.

8. I would like to find a Merc 8CM cam for my flathead. Anybody got a source?