Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATHEAD buildup Part 2. flatoz's roadster gets a new heart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Dec 11, 2006.

1. flatoz

flatoz

am shutting up shop for the xmas break and will be into it agian next week. probably wednesday at a guess. hopefully together late next week. Kustom nats is the aim.

2. Nice work Man" come build a couple of Flathead Harley Donks for me will Ya"

I see a crack from the water passage to the head bolt hole in the ring gap pic?

Grunitis

3. flatoz

flatoz

Hey Gruntis,

in from the wilderness!

yer there are two cracks on the block in exactly the same position, but there ok, no where near the valves.

you be down at the custom nats at phillip island?

hope so.

4. I have quite a collection of those exclusive speed modifications on my motor....

Danny

5. Thanks for clearing that up Man" From the Factory Mod

Grunt

6. flatoz

flatoz

Well...

I feel like I am getting there, but there still seems to be obsticals in the way. But so be it.

I started yesterday by starting to 'clay' the heads, that is , using a soft substance to check the clearance of the valves to the head. I have since been told that .100" is a good clearance. I only checked valves on 1,4,5,8.

Today I called my flathead guru and was chewing the fat over a few things and he told me that I should do all the bores and valves. Which late last night I had come to the conculusion of anyway. hell I have spent the money on this baby and the time, why leave it to chance now???

anyway. so I set about raiding the kitchen cupboards for blue tack. a soft substance that we here is OZ use to stick posters up on walls. Highly environmentally unfriendly, but then what the hell isnt?!?

So each bore got 4 pieces on each piston, E,S,W as the compass goes and centre. then the valves of a piece at the top of each, as that is the closest part to the head, and as the valves are not perpendicular to the heads where it needs to go.

[​IMG]

Then of course its bolt the heads on. I actually used the gaskets I am going to use on the motor, so everything is as it will be. To me this leaves the guess work to the minimum. I also used my new bolts - grade 8 and thick washers too. torqued down in three steps 35/45/55ft lbs

aint it pruuude.

[​IMG]

then remove and check...hmmmm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut each piece in two, and checked the smallest area I could locate with the verniers. I wrote this down on a piece of paper so I knew where I was. some were scarey, meaning my heads need to be fly cut. well, I dont have that tekmonology, sooo...

I did the next best thing. now I wont show the final product but will show how I went about it.

first I set the gasket on the block and worked out where the highest point of the valves were, then I traced the gasket onto the head and then transcribed the values I had gotten onto the head so I knew what clearance I had for each area. from there I worked out how deep the pocket already was, and then worked out how deep I needed to go to make sure I had about .100" clearance.

for sake of understanding. I will use round figures.

say I had .050 clearance.from valve to head.

the depth of the pocket was .250" and I needed .100" clearance, so I needed .050" more, or a total depth of .300" so I needed to grind .050" clearance.

hope that garbled sentence makes sense??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can see in the background my drawing detailing each valve pocket area and the clearances and what I need to do.

[​IMG]

7. Damn Corey do you ever sleep. :)

Only 8 days until the Kustom Nationals I suppose sleep is the last thing on your mind.

Keep up the good work.

Binga

8. flatoz

flatoz

too much sleep.

I need to do much more work!!

but try to tell my wife that...

9. tmf

tmf

Corey
    Is this going to get run in on the way to Phillip Island or the Crakk Run. Looking Great makes me think i should have kept the merc motor i once had.

10. flatoz

flatoz

Well, I finally got nearly a full day at it. and made some headway.

I clayed the heads again, and they all came up tickity boo. so now I only have to worry about pin hole water leaks :eek:

to 3 coats of silver paint on the gakests later and the heads went on. then it was time to turn er up side down and finish the bottom.

had to do a side trip to the supermarket for some vaseline to pack the oil pump "errr yer, its for my lips..." so the oil pump in. I had painted the oil pickup so bolted that on then set about puting the timing cover on properly and with the one piece oil seal. then made a new gasket for the sump dipstick and bolted that on.

here it is before it gets buttoned up getting exciting now...

[​IMG]

and I had to have a play, how could I resist. I havent seen it like this for 4 months. this reminded me of how tall the blower makes the motor...

so hopefully in the car by saturday. of course I have a wedding to go to tomorrow so that wipes the day and new years is out. so times a ticking...

[​IMG]

11. toprodz

toprodz

Hey Corey
    Thats is looking pretty dam good so far. good luck with getting it going in time for the kustom nats. I hope it all goes without a hitch

12. Nice work mate, you have won my vote! ;)

13. Rem

Rem

Beautiful looking engine - and Roadster, for that matter.

You mentioned silver paint on the gaskets: is that to keep the copper away from the ally heads and steel block to prevent electrolysis? I am stripping a '34 21-studder (Canadian, with aluminium heads) down for a rebuild and the gasket set I have has copper ones. Some people have said not to use them with aluminium heads, and to use composite ones instead, which I also have a set of. The motor had one of each gaskets fitted! The 'copper' side head looks to have been skimmed so it may have been a later repair. It appeared to have a coating of clear varnish or something, and came apart very cleanly. Most silver paint has a lot of aluminium in it, and I also have some heavy zinc 'cold-galvanising' paint, so what one did you use?

14. flatoz

flatoz

G'day Rem,

I was discussing this with a few mates while I was getting covered in silver paint. I have read that it was to do with the aluminium in the paint ( originally ) but of course apparently now there is SFA in it.

So I guess for me it was just one of those 'old flathead myths' to do. plus the guy I speak with re building motors said to do it. I listen to what people have to say then make a decision, but with this is such a small thing I thought why not. I had the paint so didnt have to go buy it even.

I am using these copper gaskets as I had them. if I had composite I would have used them too. I have been told that if you look after your copper gaskets you can reuse them over and over. I like that idea.

so use which ever you feel happy with.

when I use composite I always spray them with a gasket goo like hylomar or permatex. and I always expect to see some water weep out the top of the head near the intake surface until the heads and gaskets settle down after a few retorqings.

15. MADNESS - see you tomorrow arvo so we can sling this nitro burner into the car, break in that cam and cut some laps !!

Rat

16. Rem

Rem

Thanks for that Flatoz - sorry for the slow reply, but like a good comedy, it's all in the timing! Here I'm just thinking about getting ready to go down the pub, and you're probably just about to tuck into your breakfast porridge.

17. jimbob

jimbob

Mate, great to see it coming together, not long now. I've been going to give you a buzz thru the week but don't want to hold you up/slow you down.

Hope you get it to the K Nats. It looks sweet.

18. Go Corey go!!!

See ya at the Kustom Nats, I'll be the one in the rather bright EK :D :D
    Currently debugging, but I have driven it!!!! Just doesn't stop, booster rebuild should fix it....

19. Hey Devilrod how about posting some pics of the EK.

Corey we need updates.

Binga

20. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Looks unreal, cant wait to see it and bretts EK at phillip island! Should be a good show this year-

21. flatoz

flatoz

22. Mate dont' tease 'em, tell em what ya did today lmao !!

Rat

23. Stop teasing and show us some pics or has something gone wrong??

Binga

24. Nothings gone wrong mate...hes just gone away for a few days for New Years hehe....

Rat

25. Ok.......ya got me a good one :D :D

Binga

26. I go pogo

I go pogo

DAM!!! That thing is way too clean. It seems to be a shame to think of that work of art with nasty oil thrashing about inside. You are a true craftsman. My hat is off to you!
    Pogo

27. jimbob

jimbob

Sweet:cool:

28. flatoz

flatoz

yer binga,

hold onto your hat, just got back this pm and sorting a few things out and will have photo up probably tomorrow night.

want some tea and have to sort a few things out for work tomorrow.

have run the cam in, need to drop the oil etc. it wont be a thing of beauty as I have little time for making it purdy. that will come in the weeks to come.

29. flatoz

flatoz

Well,

it got the better of me, so close. Well this close. Only a few other things to do and it should be right to test drive.

[​IMG]

30. jimbob

jimbob

Lookin good mate:cool: