Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATHEAD buildup Part 2. flatoz's roadster gets a new heart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Dec 11, 2006.

1. flatoz

flatoz

Ok...

after another hiatus due to life, I am once again trying to make some headway.

I bit the bullet and took the block with crank back to the machine shop. They linished the journals and I now have 1-1.5 thou clearance on the Mains caps. It spins much nicer and I'm much happier.

I got hold of a dial indicator and checked end play about 4 thou, again happy with that.

Thought I would check the rod journals clearnace with plastigauge.

my rods have been resized, rebushed, shot peened and polished and now balanced to .1 ounce.

[​IMG]

so its time for the plastigauge again...

[​IMG]

this time I got

Rod Journals /clearance/ side play

1/5 -.0015" -.011"

2/6 -.001" -.011"

3/7 -.001" -.012"

4/8 -.0015"- .016"

[​IMG]

I also checked the gap in the new piston rings. I just used the first top ring in the set and checked all the bores.

bore- end gap
    1- 17

2 -18

3 -18

4 -20

5 -17

6 -18

7 -18

8 -17

so then my anal retentiveness kicked in and I tried all the top rings in the bore that had the largest gap number 4

for this I got rating them from smallest to largest gap.

ring no -gap
    1 -14

2 -15

3 -17

4- 17

5 -17

6 -17

7 -18

8 -20

[​IMG]

so now with my new found info I will try to even out the ring gaps across the motor. Maybe I'm just being ridiculous...

but someone has to be!

2. You anal? Nahhhhh.,no way man...

Geez man youre startin to sound like me hahaha

Rat

3. Good to see a bit of progress happening on the flatty again.

If you keep away from those Angry Birds progress would be quicker haha.

Binga

4. flatoz

flatoz

I'm hoping to get the motor together and in the car and going for xmas, my present to myself. All the bolt on stuff is right to go, as it was all together before.

So its just the short block to get together, but... measure twice, cut once.

There are a few things that I have also come up with that wont change pre new year, but thats ok, will give me something to tinker with in the new year.

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Looks good Oz- sounds like a good present that you should present to me instead- haha... j/kiddin... sounds like a good goal... I'm hoping you figure out U-tube when you get this thing fired up for the first time.

6. flatoz

flatoz

I'm sure I could figure out U tube, but I dont have a digital video camera! so guess its out of the question, you'll just have to make brooom broom pop, pop, crackle bang noises to yourself when viewing the photos.:D

7. Hi Corey,

Well done mate, more pics more pics. I know how to use U-tube and I have a camera so no excuses...

Danny

8. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

I have one. Good to see progress back on track-

9. Good Stuff Corey. Life tends to get in the way especially this time of year.

10. flatoz

flatoz

Yep, hold your horses:D

I didnt get near it last night so nothing to update yesterday. Today however I did...

It wasnt much, but was the important stage. this was the start of the assembly. So, I can finally say that, yes. I have started to put my motor back together, and that in its self is putting a smile on my dial tonight. :)

so no boring photos of the cleaning. I started by recleaning the crank to make sure that there wasnt any nasties left in the journals from the linish it had. then I wiped it down with prepsol to remove any grease I didnt want there.

I prepsoled the block too. then oiled the bores.

I cleaned the mains caps and bearings and then I dropped the crank in and put the caps on. I havent tightedned them down as I need to get some longer plugs for the crank holes BUT! the crank isnt coming out again as far as Im concerned.

Oh I also put the oil slinger back on and the new crank gear and the oil return sleeve too.

heres some photos...

doesnt that look as happy as a pig in a puddle, to be in there.

[​IMG]

heres the front shot showing the nicely painted cam gear area.

[​IMG]

and a little blurry, but just showing the champhered edge of the mains caps so I can fit the standard sump on, which is important to me.

[​IMG]

and that is it for tonight. might get some done tomorrow. but before I go any further alot of parts need to find their way into my parts washer then have a trip the the aircompressor so that will take up a few hours I feel.

11. Good to see some progress happening.

Binga

12. 30roadster

30roadster

that polished crank is BEEEEE-UTIFUL!

13. flatoz

flatoz

thanks,

it is getting there, slowly, but best to be careful in these situations.

14. Very very nice mate.....good to see the progress at last. I love those pix, keep em coming.

Youll be racin' for pinks soon....well, maybe not pinks, but at least you'll be backon the street !!

It can be real tough being off the street .....haha, (what film?)

Rat

15. jimbob

jimbob

Great to see progress mate.

I'll have mine stripped ready for you to build when you visit next year:D

16. flatoz

flatoz

get the machine work done and the parts and we can get it done.

17. Terry

Terry

Man, that thing is gorgeous!!!!

18. Ahh Man,

I love it I love it. Makes me feel ever more poor boy with my cobbled together rebuild and hop ups!

Danny

19. flatoz

flatoz

we all get there in the end. its not how you travel the road, its the experiences you have while traveling.

thats enough zen out of me for the arvo.

planning on more work tonight though.

20. Hi Corey,

Up for a visitor to watch over you shoulder for a while?

Danny

21. flatoz, I'm really enjoying your engine build up. Best of all I seem to be learning something!

22. flatoz

flatoz

Not a huge lot done tonight, got home late and only got 2 hours out in the shed. had to do the shopping and then called in to see peddro, and as he can talk the leg off an iron pot I got away late.

As previously stated the next real big move is to clean everything , blow it off with air and then assemble.

Unfortunately I will have to lift the crank again. as I didnt put the rear main seal in. dont know why I forgot that. but I set about getting it ready tonight.

firstly I blasted the carrier. then sat it in the vice and put a smear of loctite gasket goo 515 in the area the rope seal will go in.

[​IMG]

Then I fitted the rope seal and squashed it into place with this highly complex rope seal fitting device. There pretty expensive, so dont think everyone can have one.

[​IMG]

as you can see I have left the rope proud at the moment, I will cut if off at a later date when the gasket goo has gone off. I also will then let the seal soak in oil for a day or so. I am trying to cover most bases to stop the oil leak that you get. However, as I have read this leak was all but built into the motor ,as in , the leak is what lubicates the rope seal. so look on those small oil spots as lovingly looking after your motor:)

next I moved onto the cleaning the rods ready to install.

always check everything.

[​IMG]

it doesnt look like much, but it looks like disaster to me.

[​IMG]

look at them all lined up, ready to go out and fight the scurg that is know as chevy!:eek:

[​IMG]

you have got to love the detail... its all in the detail:)

[​IMG]

23. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

You might want to use a Kevlar rear seal.I have had good luck with them.

24. Bert

Bert

Good shit cory......playin with ones ring is what its all about.:) ....are you going to index them? as in, the gaps at 10 oclock 2 and 6 oclock positions?......I think they rotate anyway or so Im told.....at startup you gotta youtube for sure:D ......Bert

25. flatoz

flatoz

flatdog,

you dont have a part number and brand on that by any chance?

26. Shit! 25% off Bendon at Myer!

27. that was soooooooo last month.....the prices just went up for christmas....:D

Keep at it,

Drewfus:)

28. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

29. flatoz

flatoz

tried that link flatdog and couldnt see any kevlar, they advertised a normal teflon coated one.

update photos soon.