Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Blower setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skotz, Oct 4, 2005.

1. OK boys and girls...after driving Graham's blown flathead roadster at MoKan and realizing that my "new"32 with its little engine needs a blower after its first trials and tribulations at Little River/Kontinental Drags last weekend... You know how this works, I need to out run him next time...Sooo, any leads on a Flathead blower setup that anyone has laying around that would be for sale????
    Thanks for the input

2. ElPlymino

ElPlymino
    from Orcutt

Well, theres a couple flatties layin around at this site. www.uncommonengineering.com You could start with this one in the 32....

[​IMG]

or go to this one if you need something a little more "Boyd"...and want the Bonnivelle look...

[​IMG]

But seriously, they have some major hardcore flathead stuff for us dreamers. That reminds me, I forgot to buy by Lottery ticket today. :p

3. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Come on in , the water is fine. Blown flatties rock. The 8BA in my avatar was built by Uncommon Engineering. They are good people. Sorry I don't know of anything for sell right now.

Doc.

4. So how bad did Graham whomp ya'?

5. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

You might want to look at the Roadrunner units from Joe Abbin (505-268-6768) I've been real happy with mine. If you don't want the bling he sells the kit unpolished. He also sells an adapter for 2-dueces instead of the 4-barrel. I installed mine 3 years ago last March and now have about 15,000 miles on it with no problems. Might be kinda spendy but it's an easy install in about 2 days.

Attached Files:

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, I sure don't understand how a Potvin style setup for a flathead comes across as "Boyd", but I have talked to a guy at Uncommon and he was super cool. Pretty much let me know they are equipped to build nearly anything you would want. V-belt drive, chain drive, gear drive.

I'm not too into the dual GMC setup, but the single blower and overhead stuff they are doing for the Ford flathead looks very interesting.

I'm in the beginning stages of building a blown flathead. Uncommon obiously invests a lot of time and imagination into their stuff so they deserve every penny they can get. But as cool and well made as it is, the pricing of their stuff was just too far out of my comfort level. The road runner stuff just looks too new for my car - and I likely can't afford it either. :)

I do have a plan. As soon as I get some parts gathered I will do a mock-up and show how I plan to solve my own problems and issues with installing a 4-71 on a flathead, doing my best to make it look like it was one of the first installations around, and keeping it as cheap, reliable, and streetable as possible. But I suppose if you look at my car streetable is a pretty loose interpretation.

7. BELLM

BELLM

Skot I called a friend in Bryan who has a S.C.o.T. but he doesn't want to sell it. He suggested you call Roadrunner Engineering 505 268 6760, says this guy sells complete setups, I think he said he uses Edelbrock blowers, good for street & strip, Bob thinks setup go for around $2500, not sure. Might be worth a try.

8. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

I don't blame him for NOT wanting to sell the S.C.o.T.; the prices have been going "out of sight", last one I saw on ebay sold for something like $14,000.00 !!!

I won't sell mine either!! :D :D

9. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Kevin

any ideas what intake you are going to use? cut down Fenton dual mebbe?

10. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

IF I had a SCOT and some one offered me $14k he would be the new owner....................

11. BELLM

BELLM

Bob has probably had the S.C.o.T. probably at least since the 60s, long time racer. Told him he needs to gat a larger safe deposit box. He has a garage full of cool flatty stuff, is in his 70s, he and his brother ran a Willys back in the day, he is now into the flying mile stuff, last time I saw him me & 30Roadster paid a visit and he had a 27 roadster, now has the engine in a 79 (?)Camaro, I beleive he said has run 179 with the Camaro, not sure. He is running on the 22nd near Goliad, if I remember correctly. Cool guy!

12. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Before I sold the "T" I spoke to them about there 4-71 setup for my flatty in it. They said I might be able to work a deal with them for getting it piece by piece, but at over 6 grand they'd have to break it down to about 600 pieces for me to be able to afford it:D. I thing Rat Bastard had a guy in Australia build his at a reasonable price compared to "The other guys". I'd still like to know what you plan on using for an intake for my next flatty.

Drew

13. Unbelievable site....thanks for the tip...gonna call them later today, though I figure its sorta expensive there by what they are doing.
    Skot

14. Dennis.
    actually the 2nd run I beat him, BUT he blew the transmission! Handwriting was on the wall as to blowers work! ...and at the price of SCOT blowers, I'm gonna save it for the 15 roadster project(if your memory still works) cause I won't run it as hard as the 3W....you noticed I didn't answer your question?

15. Eddie,
    I called Joe at Roadrunner...very knowledgeable, and has a good book out on blown flatheads....Just hate to spring for so much dollars, at least until I look on the used market. And thanks a bunch for the copy of the artical on blowers that you gave to me at the drags saturday!!!
    Skot

16. Dave,
    I understand on the no sell aspect....I've had one for 30+years, saved for a project that is still on the back burner, and am having folks come out of the woodworks trying to get it....I'm just not done with it yet, and I really dont want to run on the 3W, cause it will be one of those "drive it like you stole it"cars...sooo....I need one that I can mess with, thus the "looking around for one search"

17. Keep us updated on the set up, with pictures, to help out the next guy
    Thanks

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

$14,000.00? I would think it could be done for little less?

saw this one Saturday, I could be wrong but this should be possible for less than half that, motor included, using a V8 instead of the 12

Attached Files:

19. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

I think I should say something.But I can't remember what.

20. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Yeh...............right :confused: :D

21. They can certainly be done for a lot less than 12k....thats the price for "nostalgia" for hard core hi buck folks nowdays....Roadrunner, good setup, complete is 2500 unpolished(its just not a SCoT, but a weiand blower with serpentine belt system).....and Joe certainly seems to know his flatheads, I consider him a good source.
    Skot

22. Grim,

Flatoz and I are putting the finishing touches to our blower setups. For intakes we used a casting made by a kiwi called Hadyn Mitchell in NZ, I dont have his contact details but hopefully Flatoz will chime in with the contact details.

The intake is a REAL nice piece, in fact one of the nicest castings Ive ever seen and good quality machining too. Around 300 clams USD or so + shipping.

Here are some pix of both our setups and how we plan to mod it for the pop off valve.....

Rat

Attached Files:

23. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Hi Rat bastard!

my intake is on the way...

How do you know wich springs you are using for the popoff valve?

24. G'day Pete,

Not sure yet but I will be finding out pretty soon re the springs. Will what Ive found out.

Rat

25. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

What about using an adjustable popoff valve from a turbo??

26. flatoz

flatoz

g'day,

sorry havent had time to post as been busy, but...

yep haydn mitchell makes the intakes. if you want a compelete set up Ron San Giovanni is the guy to see, he has perfected these 4/71 set ups for flatheads, and its a no BS set up and race proven.

I cant find haydns details but if your interested pm me and I will pass them on, wont post them here.

As Rat said we've been working on these, I hope to have mine done soon. but I have four projects on the go, so its a bit difficult to get time for one. on the pop off valve I will post the below pics, on what I did with an hour of my time the other night. I will save the whole setting up for a tech week maybe, as I have taken photos along the way so I can refer to them at a later date. you need to play with the water pumps for this to work too, as the genny/alternator sits infront of the belt drive.

anyway heres how I did my pop off valve, I firstly sanded the sides smooth then drilled and made the plate ( going to remake it as not happy) just need to get some rubber to allow it to seal properly.

flatoz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres psychos duals going on his AV8, another of the projects.

[​IMG]

27. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been in contact with flatoz and Haydn as well. I'll likely use that manifold. I'm also hiring a friend who just opened a machine shop to fabricate a multiple v-belt drive and custom crank pulley. I'll probably need a custom fan hub too but that will keep everything close to the motor.

This will make a lot more sense when it is mocked up with pictures.

28. Nice stuff Corey. Nice to see youve been busy !!

Grim, pls keep us in the loop with some progress pix dude.

Rat

29. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Hey Grim, I'm gonna try and get one from him as well as time and money allow, can you keep me updated on your pulley setup as it nears it completion since thats more the look I plan on going for(against strong advice from friends) since they say its a pain in the ass with multiple belts, but it really gives a more vintage feel. Maybe I could have your buddy do a duplicate setup for me, or with some measurements and pics have a similar setup machined out here on the Left coast(maybe I can get this damn thing to Paso next year:D).

Drew

30. flatoz

flatoz

Rat,

got some stainless strap 1" wide for the popoff valve the spring is one that I picked up at a machine shop I visisted for the all thread for psychos off set genny set up. not sure on the tension, I personally reckon it might be a little too much, but will see.

Rat,

will let you know when everything settles down, probably after bright, and will get the waterpumps and intake done in one hit. I havent set up the press I bought the other day yet.