Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead block worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PieisgooD, Jun 12, 2015.

1. PieisgooD

PieisgooD
    from Omaha

I have the opportunity to bring home a couple flathead ford v8s out of early 50s fords. They both are still in the cars that have been sitting in a field for quite a while. The owner doesnt know about their condition so I am assuming they are stuck. Both are complete. What would the bare blocks be worth? And would there be much demand for the other parts off of them? Would there be any other parts to try and snag off of the cars that would be in high demand? I was thinking of grabbing some interior pieces, steering column etc.

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Pictures?

I had good luck with a flathead that came out of a parked vehicle. They were usually driven there and left, so there's a good chance at having a nice block.

Values vary wildly depending on where you live and what season it is. They could be worth $100 or $1000 (or more). Regardless, don't let them go to the scrapper.

3. Every part is worth saving. You'll just have to work on them a little to see if they're any good. How much money will determine the next step however. Tim

4. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

The blocks are probably worth$50 as they set. 4 out of 5 will be cracked in valve seats or along pan rails. Maganafluxed or pressure tested then the price is in the $400 range

5. banjorear

banjorear

Two years ago I sold a known good block that was baked, blasted, tanked, and magg'd for $600. It was standard bore.

6. PieisgooD

PieisgooD
    from Omaha

So from the sounds of it, just pulling them out of the cars they won't have much value. I may have to pass on this then.

7. flatheadmurre

flatheadmurre

If you got the time take them home and take of the heads and pan.
    If you cant see any cracks after a wirebrush cleanup the value just went up :)

8. k9racer

k9racer

With in the last year I sold a 99A long block 650. A 51 Merc complete 800. 2 8ba blocks bare very good condition for 250 each. Any time I can buy a flat head for 100 dollars I jump on the instantly.If they are junk the scrap will bring 30 of your dollars back.

9. If I were closer I'd be there with dollars,trailer,tools and chain-fall.

10. About the only parts that won't sell readily is the stock manifold and heads. Caveat-Depending on the head letters below the spark plugs, some are worth more than others due to compression ratios.