Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead block cracked can it be saved

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AV88, Oct 10, 2012.

1. AV88

AV88

So last weekend my flathead got super hot , it's still a bit of a mystery why but it happened and on one side only ???? That side head was cracked on the outside and spitting water , maybe the cause , but when I took the head off there was my worst fear , a crack in the block!!!! going from a valve seat to a piston bore , dammit!! But it's there ,so my question is to more expeirianced folk , can this sort of crack be repaired / pined / sleeved etc ? this engine has a lot of time and money in it so of course id love to save it ,its bored 60 over , port and polished , balanced ,400 jr cam ,adjustable lifters etc or should I just say goodbye and get all the goodies out of it I'm glad I only had stock heads on it ,it could have been even more painful ImageUploadedByTJJ1349848069.314216.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1349848086.917073.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1349848105.294730.jpg anyway thanks in advance

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. AV88

AV88

And this is what it's in ImageUploadedByTJJ1349848309.676218.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1349848330.391153.jpg

3. AV88

AV88

And got another pic from inside the bore ImageUploadedByTJJ1349850282.682494.jpg

4. in my opinion and I am sure many others that is not worth fixing. I do see you are in Australia, But I would get another block if I were you.

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Yes it can be saved but it needs to go to someone who knows how. Most likely the cylinder looks like it may be cracked as well. That cylinder may need to bored out and sleeved along with the valve seat repair. It may be easier to find a good block but down under ????
    Did the head burn the paint off?
    It's a good idea to run two temp gauges one for each head. If one water pump fails it can burn up that side of the block.

6. AV88

AV88

Blocks arnt to hard to find in Australia but the pickings are slim I know a place that can do that sort of work but wasn't sure about this particular job and the heads were all red the paint is burnt black and yes the temp guage is in the other head , two temp gauges yup ill have two from now on

7. Ring Dr Flathead at Lobethal, he has the answers.

8. A tub

A tub

hey bro corbys did my sleve for $150, not sure how much now, and not sure what cost would be to repair your crack in block, just get another block rebored and throw all your goodies in,new rings if pistons are ok, itl be just as cost efficient and youll sleep better if you know what i mean, didnt realise it went so far into cylinder, dam, chin up :)

9. AV88

AV88

Well a flatheads not going back in my 51 , and I'm not going to machine up another block at closer to $3000 I thought if I could save this one for a reasonable cost I would later on and was curious what other people's opinion was :)

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I don't know much about V8 flatheads. But, what about just replacing the head gasket, and the water pump or whatever caused it to overheat in the first place and then just run it like that and see how it does? Or is the crack into a water jacket and it is leaking water? Looks to me that it might not be. if not, maybe it won't cause any notable running problems? If all is mostly good, maybe just run the motor till it quits and then replace down the road. Might never be much of a problem. Or maybe that is just crazy wishful thinking.

11. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

It could be fixed....but it would be up there in cost, like what the others were saying I'd be getting a new block, but I would keep that cracked one under the bench for later,

12. AV88

AV88

Seriously it crossed my mind hmmmm

13. AV88

AV88

I think your right unfortunatly thanks

14. tedspain@gmail.com

[email protected]
    from nz

I do have a fix thats cost afective part of would involve fitting a new valve seat ,and special sealer ,this could be done with the engine in ,call me in Auckland if you like ,nz 04.096263141,or o211193090 FlatheadTed

15. Diavolo

Diavolo

As much as I love flatheads (I have 2) I don't think I could justify the amount of money involved in even fixing one at this point. I tell people who don't know it's the easiest way to turn a lot of money into a very small amount of horsepower.

For half of what you would spend on fixing it, you could probably build a slightly newer engine like a y-block or a FE.

16. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the way that crack runs from the valve seat to down into the cylinder, it would be an involved repair. overlapping tapered pins for the crack, sleeve for the bore and a new valve seat. if you try to run it without fixing everying, the crack will propogate and you will be right back where you started, but probably with damaged rod, crank, cam. Talk to a machinist experienced in these repairs before deciding.
    and looking at the vertical scoring on that cylinder, the whole engine may need a rebuild at this point.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  17. A tub

A tub

3grand just for rebore - i dont think so
    rebore and hone maybe $800, new cam bearings and some rings$300 wont come to 3 grand ashley, u have pistons, crank and cam, heads u have, and throw some new bearings into bottom to suit old crank from current block, valve seats from mike (bout $300 reground) cheaper through trade and you know plenty of guys in trade, cant see it costing 3 grand just for that:D

18. AV88

AV88

Read it again bro no one said $3000 for a rebore but around $3000 for a hotwash, a crack check ,a rebore new rings , new cam bearings plus fitted and decks faced , heads faced , valve seats , valve seats fitted and what if it needs a bigger bore than my piston size or sleeves put in etc etc this stuff adds up we've both done it its not cheap! anyway this isn't what I'm talking about here I'm asking opinions on wether or not this could be repaired not arguing about machining prices

19. Just put a 186 in it and weld the f&@kin bonnet shut.:eek:

20. AV88

AV88

I've already bought an overhead valve v8 motor for the 51 I was just curious wether the flathead was worth fixing or not that's all

21. I'm hoping your going to put one of those new modern Y blocks in it.

22. AV88

AV88

Yup the 302 y block haha

23. Diavolo

Diavolo

You could always sell it as it is. I'm sure someone would be willing to spend the money to fix it or fill the block and fix it and use it as a FED power source for 1/4 mile trips down a straight road.

24. Wardog

Wardog

Wrap it up and put it under the bench while you install the 302. You may come across a fix in time or even decide to sell it as is and cut your losses.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

25. AV88

AV88

That's not a bad idea to pay for the engine swap but I got a flathead in my roadster so ill just put it under the bench just incase ,I hope I didn't come across as to much of a tight ass haha i dont mind spending if i got the cash and need to but if I built this flathead now it would be the forth in ten years that's a little ruff on the back pocket

26. You could just transfer your goodies out for later takes up less space. Or sell em to pay for the new donk. It all works out in the end, otherwise you end up tryinging to find space for 5 motors and a messy shed!

27. AV88

AV88

Are you sayin my sheds messy ?? Haha ..... It is

28. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I realize you're not in the states but all the negative replies remind me of 50 years ago here in the U.S.A. when everybody scrapped Flathead blocks because of cracks. Many were scrapped unnecessarily because people didn't know any better. About the only truly fatal cracks are those in the pan rail and in the center main web area. Ones like yours can be fixed here for less than $300. Bore, sleeve, rebore one cylinder, pin, and new valve seat.

29. metalman

metalman

Gotta agree with Dale above. We went thru the same issue with one a few years ago, nice motor with a nice port and relieve job that cracked like yours due to a failed water pump and no temp gauge on that side (bought the car this way, I know better then one sending unit!) and we hated to throw it away. Pinned the crack and sleeved the cylinder, been running great ever since. Lot cheaper then starting with another block.

30. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I can't believe you got it hot enough to burn the paint on the head, I've never seen that before. Didn't you smell anything?