Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead blew the Big one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Well, After overheating the 37 flatty a few weeks ago from a stuck thermostat and no apparent problems showing with the typical loss of compression or blown head gasket. I ran the flathead hard for one week. It decided to take a shit with a blown head gasket on the same side as the overheat problem. The flathead was liturally blowing coolant out of the exhaust pipe. The 37 is grounded for the year. At least I had fun with it this summer. Instead of going through the cost of a rebuild on this, I decided to put a 1950 flathead in its place. I was lucky to come by a friend who had just bought one for a spare. guaranteed to run like a banshee. Dirt cheap 450.00 for a guaranteed runner. My 37 flathead rebuild expense would go way beyond that.I'm bummed though. I wish I could of squeezed two more months out of it.And that 21 bolt did really run well for only a 85 horse. Sucks to be me right now.

2. mtflat

mtflat

It's a bump in the road, not a dead end.

You'll have fun with the '50, but can't you replace the head gasket and finish the season? I'd sure try.

If the '50 is out of a truck be sure to get the half bellhousing with it - otherwise you'll need one from a truck or merc to match your current tranny.

Have fun with it - if it was easy everybody would be messing with flatty's!

3. If the 50 motor is as good as claimed, you'll wonder why you waited so long to replace the 37 motor. Like Tim Taylor says.."More power!"

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    If the '50 is out of a truck be sure to get the half bellhousing with it - otherwise you'll need one from a truck or merc to match your current tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]

AND the starter plate that goes with it!

[​IMG]

5. I don't want to be a smartass here but what's it take to through a headgasket on a flatmotor. Unlike the smallblock chevys I so dearly love you dont even have to pull the intake or the distributer. At least get a couple of mor months out of it. Unless of course more damage was done. I know antifreeze can wreak havoc on the cylinder walls and bearings.

6. TINGLER

TINGLER

PeteJoe,
    If you're interested in selling the 85hp flatty, Get in touch with The Brooding Swede. He is near ya down in KY and he is always looking for flathead parts.
    JT.

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Now pick yourself up out of that chair and go change the engines,,,,,and start the FUN FACTOR UP !!!

8. Missing Link

Missing Link

It's not so much what it takes to replace the head gasket, it's the usual damage done by the head gasket takes a dump. If that flatty is blowing coolant out the exhaust, chances are the block has a major problem.

9. Missing Link

Missing Link

Sorry to hear about it, that does suck.

10. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

+++++Spam++++++
    I have a 53 Merc engine complete with water pumps and intake for sale.
    Bought it with a story, have not had heads or pan off of it.
    If interested, email em.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Update: looks like I'll be styling again this fall! Pulled the effected head. I got lucky came right off with no glitches.Left four head nuts on and cranked the engine to pop the head loose ( that works slick) Maybe overheating it originally to the point the paint peeled gave me some give on the removal. Found the gasket to be blown away at one small area between the number 4 cylinder and the a nearby water port. Cleaned the block and I just couldn't believe that I didn't find any major cracks at all! In fact I only found one miniscule crack between a stud and a water port.The block was in better shape than any pictures I've ever seen in these areas. With as much heat I encountered with this stuck thermostat ( hot enough to peel the paint) I expected the block to be junk. I'll be installing a new gasket and trying her again. Still buying the 50 engine for a backup. This will give me time to work on the new flatty and port and polish all the fancy stuff this winter.It's amazing how you can be so down one minute and flying like a kite the next. Must be how the Pit crews feel during a big race.

12. Brooding Swede

Brooding Swede

Glad to here it Petejoe. Run it tell you can't run it at all and always have a back up plan or a spare engine around. Later, Broodin S.