Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead bellhousing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by torchmen49, Jan 12, 2006.

1. torchmen49

torchmen49

My knowledge of flathead fords isn't all that great, but I'm learning. What I need to know is.... What bellhousing do I use to mount a 1950 Ford passenger manual trans behind an Early flathead ?

2. jetmek

jetmek

the pre 49 blocks have the bell cast in. the 50 std trans should bolt right up

3. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

I don't think there is anything stock that will get you from here to there with that combination. I'm trying to remember if there was some sort of obscure piece that would work, but I don't think so. There is probably an after market piece that you can fit between the bell housing on the block and the transmission. Look around on the Wilcap web page.
    http://www.wilcap.com/
    You could also use a '40-'51 Mercury transmission that has the back half of the bell housing cast on the transmission like the early Ford units, but I assume you have the transmission already.

4. jetmek

jetmek

my mistake...i thought 50 ford was same case as merc with o/d on back