Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Bellhousing Starter Cap Replacement?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PAracer, Oct 5, 2010.

  1. PAracer
    Joined: May 21, 2007
    Posts: 91


    Hoping the flathead experts can help me out. I've searched on everything I can think of but have not found the answer to my question in any other post. I'm planning to use the 8RT truck bellhousing pictured below in my A-V8. The starter cap has been damaged pretty bad and appears the starter gear has been rubbing the inside of the mangled cap. Before I spend any time repairing the cap I was wondering if ford or any aftermarket places offered a replacement cap? I've checked Joblot, etc. catalogs and either don't see it or do not know what its called. I've also looked for a damaged bellhousing to pull a good cap off of but have had no luck. Any ideas?


  2. Flat Ernie
    Joined: Jun 5, 2002
    Posts: 8,406

    Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

    To my knowledge, that piece is not reproduced...
  3. fab32
    Joined: May 14, 2002
    Posts: 13,985

    Member Emeritus

    I've got a bellhousing with that identical damage. I'm not in need of using it at this time but I'll be watching for any clever solutions the HAMB will come up with. How about NealinCa, any ideas?

  4. AJofHollywood
    Joined: Oct 3, 2008
    Posts: 640


    If you can get it out (or not), I'd say spend a couple of hours and repair it yourself.

  5. Tim McNees
    Joined: Feb 2, 2008
    Posts: 29

    Tim McNees

    build one out of some tubing and a piece of plate. use the existing flange, it will be as good as a new one
  6. tommy
    Joined: Mar 3, 2001
    Posts: 14,757

    Member Emeritus

    I'd measure the diameter and depth, write it down on a small piece of paper and put it in my wallet. Then anytime you see a drinking cup, a measuring cup or wheel center cap you can check the size. The dollar store is a great place to find parts if you know what size you need when you are in there.

    If it is close to 2 1/4, 2 1/2, a muffler shop can expand their tubing for an exact fit. Then weld a blank on the end and grind it for looks.
  7. Bruce Lancaster
    Joined: Oct 9, 2001
    Posts: 21,682

    Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

    That is the way...hardware store or grocery will have some object that will slide onto the good stump part, and you can probably find something that is already enclosed. You even have size could slide over either the main part or the bead.
    Even a dogfood can would do the job, as the only function is to keep out dirt, and the only chance of damage would be sheer carelessness as engine goes into car.
    I would bet the ding came when engine was loose and was accomplished when it was rolling around in a junk pile or the back of a truck.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.