Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Bearing Availability

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MN Falcon, Jun 18, 2009.

1. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I am going to build a 59A flathead for my '46 Ford pickup. I am going to go look at an 8BA crank tomorrow for it. I was wondering what the largest bearings they made for the mains on the 59A (I read that you still need the mains for the 59A because the thrust bearing is different) and the rods for the 8BA?

I assume you can get .030, does anyone know different? Thanks

2. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

I believe 30 is doable but I never was able to find anything more when I was looking for .40 mains. That was a couple years ago.

3. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Curious, why do you want to use an 8BA crank? Is it a 4"?

4. hotrod8

hotrod8

check out flatheadjack ..........

5. 50shoe

50shoe

6. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I don't want to deal with the floater bearings, I have no experience with them, they just sound like a lot of extra work to get them fitted correctly. There is a good chance that it is a 4", but if he will sell it cheap enough I will take the Ford. It is still in the block so it will have the rods as well.

Thanks for the advice so far. I checked FH Jack and EGGE and it looks like .030 it is.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  7. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I have a new catalog from Job Lot in New York. They list mains up to .060 for about $90.00

8. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

FM listed them for .050 under in old catalogue never saw any though.,

9. krooser

krooser

Fitted? Mic the crank...mic the bearings and polish the crank to size. Nothing different than any other bearing set.

10. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64318&highlight=fitting+full+floating+bearings

http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/bearing.htm

"Well, it can be a very time consuming process. (I mean the ``fitting, not the explanation) As everyone knows, the design is such that the bearings can either turn WITH the crank journal, or ON the crank journal. Same with the bearing O.D., as it can either turn WITH the connecting rod, or ON the connecting rod. In order for this to happen, each bearing half must be formed to fit the journal with 1/2 the total clearance arrived at by subtracting the bearing thickness from the difference between the measured journal O.D. and the connecting rod I.D. Out of the box the bearing halves are (usually) a mile away from allowing the system to function as designed. I use a large ``deadblow` hammer and a block of oak wood to make the ``adjustments`` with. It is a matter of being patient and opening or closing the bearing untill just the right ``fit`` is achieved. When you feel comfortable with your work, bolt on a connecting rod and test the fit. The rod or the bearing must be absolutely free to turn at any location around the crank or on the bearing. Getting both ends formed exactly the same can be rather challenging. Only then is the set truly considered ``full floating`` It is not unusual to spend several hours on this job."

I don't have any experience so I have done a bunch of reading, for me it sounds like there is a lot of work to get the fit just right and you have to have the right feel for it. Its easier to just swap out the crank and rods and know that I can do the job right. Besides, I have also read a lot that says that the floater bearings are getting harder to find, I can leave those for some one that really cares to run them.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  11. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Turned out to be a Merc crank still in the block, the lowest piston measured 3 7/8" to the deck and you could tell that the crank wasn't at TDC. I pulled one of the main caps and found nothing to indicate that it was oversized so I figured I would buy it ($90) and take my chances. Knowing the block and pistons were junk, I have to say that was the easiest flathead that I ever took apart (BFH, sawzall, and a good sharp chisel got all the pistons out in only a couple hours). I measured on the bench and it does look like a standard journal 4" Merc (the journals need to be cleaned up though). Guess there is no question now which crank I will be putting in my 59A build :) I suppose being a standard journal though I need to still consider the use of floater bearings again and do the the stroker. I'll have to talk with a flathead machinist though to see if everything will get cleaned up if I do the stroker.