Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead and also rear spring, 1939 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LongT, Feb 23, 2019.

1. LongT

LongT

20190220_162155.jpg

New to flatheads. Mercury 8CM what are the 2 holes/passages in the manifold for? I tried searching and couldn't find out. I must have used the wrong search words.

Also, I am looking for a rear spring for a 1939 Fotd Tudor. In a previous thread I've seen St. Louis Spring, they haven't returned my emails yet, and Detroit Spring. Any opinions on the Mac's spring?

Thanks

2. The hole to the left is for the road draft tube and the other is for the oil fill tube. As far as a rear spring you could try Posies or Speedway Motors.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The opening on the left is for the crankcase road draft breather tube/pipe that goes down the front of the engine and curves underneath the oil pan. The other opening on the right is for the oil fill/breather pipe. It has a breather pipe filter cap on top that you remove to fill the engine with oil. Air is sucked in that filler pipe and into the crankcase where it then exits through the road draft tube.
    Both of these parts make up the crankcase ventilation system to relieve pressure in the crankcase. I am using the terms pipe and tube interchangeably.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/336855247107614670/ and
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_engine-pics/Flathead_Engine_complete1949to53.jpg
    Rear springs for your car were made with varying numbers of spring leafs. First, find out what spring your car should have. I am sure there are folks on this site as well as Fordbarn who also own tudors and could answer that question.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    LongT likes this.
  4. LongT

LongT

Oooops! I should have mentioned I am looking for a stock spring. The car is a project that came with a Posie's reverse eye spring. I prefer a rake so I want to raise the rear.

5. flathead4d

flathead4d

If you don't want to use or don't have the road draft tube you can install a PCV valve in it and connect it to a vacuum source. Check out shoeboxford.com and look at their parts list.

LongT likes this.
  6. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i think you can use the posie spring .just put a spacer above the spring ?

7. LongT

LongT

I considered that. It might work.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That's a good idea. Reversing the eyes of a stock spring only lowers the car 1 inch.
    Call Posie and ask how much lower their spring makes the car. Then add a spacer to compensate.
    You will need a modified spring spreader to remove the revere eyed spring. I am 99% sure a 1940 rear spring will also fit your car. There are some for sale on Ebay. Also check Fprdbarn and HAMB.

LongT likes this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's a thread with photos of spring spreader used to remove reverse eyed spring.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146018

FYI: The model number for your 39 tudor are 91A-70-B (144,333 produced).
    if it's a DeLuxe and
    91A-70-A if it's a DeLuxe (124,866 produced).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    LongT likes this.
  10. LongT, your engine may have already been converted to using a PCV. In the photo there is a black hose which may be a PCV hose. A PCV system is much better than the original road draft tube, but you need to have one or the other.

LongT likes this.
  11. LongT

LongT

The black hose is the fuel line. Working on how to setup the PCV. There are quite a few threads on this site. I just need to find one that works for me.

12. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

if that is the fuel line it looks to be in a bad spot....maybe run hard line to the carb or carbs.. much safer than rubber.

13. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

that black hose says NOT for fuel . you might what to change that.

14. LongT

LongT

Thanks for catching that but it actually says not for fuel injection. I went out and checked. However I did change the fuel line. Their was about 10 or so feet of that from the tank to the carb. I replaced most of it with hardline.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  15. alchemy

alchemy

16. LongT

LongT