Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead 60 hp transmission guts in 39 case??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MR K., Mar 7, 2014.

1. MR K.

MR K.

an any one school me on 30"s transmissions?
    I have a trans off a 60 hp motor. I know this because he housing is a bit different where the starter goes. I could bolt it up to a later flathead if I cut the casting. But dont want my work looking like I hacked it. Can i use those guts in a 39 case?

2. Rem

Rem

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The V8-60 ransmssion is a unique beast. Does not sharegears or much else with the larger V8-85/100 boxes.

4. b-bob

b-bob

But does the 60 trans inter-change with the other trans?

5. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

If the 60hp transmission that you have is the commercial version or the late, side-shift 1940 transmission then the answer is yes. If it is the earlier 60hp passenger car transmission then the answer is absolutely no. The commercial/1940 transmission is interchangeable (internals as a set) with the 85hp 1939. There is a difference in 1st gear gearing, with the 60hp box having a much lower first gear to try to give 60hp-powered cars a jump off the line, but the complete gearset from one box will fit the other. If you want to do this and want to know what the gearing is let me know and I will go out in the garage and count teeth on the input shaft gear. Greg

6. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

I was certain but I went out and counted anyway. 14 teeth on the 1940 side-shift 60hp trans input shaft, and that gearset was put into a late 85hp case. Once more, the smaller 60hp trans is a completely different box. Nothing will fit the 85hp case, it even has a smaller throwout bearing.

7. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

b-bob, did not see your question. The large 60hp box will interchange, but you have to cut the bell to clear the starter drive on the 85hp engine, as Mr. K said in the initial post. Same with an 85hp trans mounted to a 60. This photo is an 85hp trans cut to clear the starter drive of a 60, with 60hp gears from a side-shift 1940 trans in an earler 85hp case to give me a top-shift trans.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The trans on a 221 or 239 (the big one, 1940 or the commercial topshift) requires only a small notch to clear the starter can on the oil pan. Using the big engine trans on a 60 is actually much harder...you need a fairly big hole in the casting and then something to enclose the Bendix, since the 60 starter is way inboard. The regular passenger car 60, as pointed out, has nothing of any use right back through the U-joint. Apparently it was even too tiny for the 60, as for many years places like JC Whitney sold converted 85 transmissions as 60 replacements.
    Most of the big type 60 trans got the wide ratio 29 tooth cluster based gear set to jack up the low speed torque a bit.

9. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Thanks, Bruce, you are always there with the facts. The trans in my photo ended up with a late 1940's beer can from a Miami brewery to cover the starter drive, which fit just fine.

10. MR K.

MR K.

DAM GOOD INFO GUYS! Thanks!

11. MR K.

MR K.

what I have is a top shifter ( i think out of a car)

12. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Post a photo. Only way to know what you have.

13. MR K.

MR K.

ok, i will tonight.
    Thanks!

14. MR K.

MR K.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

15. MR K.

MR K.

These are the pics

Attached Files:

16. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

You have the 60hp commercial transmission, so the complete internals will swap over into a '39 case with no problems. The 60hp passenger car transmission is much smaller and has a four-bolt top cover. The gearing will be lower in first, but otherwise everything is the same. As Bruce pointed out in his post, it is also very easy to mount this transmission as is on an 85hp engine, just a minor cutout needed to clear the starter drive. Might be the best way to go, easiest certainly. Greg

17. MR K.

MR K.

Thanks guys. Time to break out the die grinder and modify that housing. So what year is this off of??

18. b-bob

b-bob

I was told my trans. came off a '37,.... 60 hp motor. But it has the 6 bolt top and has only a slight cut out on the bell. Maybe he was wrong.?

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This trans came out from behind my 60 hp. No idea what it is, has open drive shaft tail end. Stock?

Attached Files:

20. MR K.

MR K.

Yours is open drive?? Hummmm ???

21. b-bob

b-bob

Here are a couple pics of my trans. I was told 1937 ..60 hp, but it doesn't look like the others posted, maybe it is just a normal V8 trans??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Blowby, It's a 60 case, and if it is open drive it coud have had its internals replaced with flathead pickup internals. As with the 85/commercial 60 gearsets, if you replace the whole thing as a set it is a straight swap. There were no open drive 60hp transmissions, so someone got creative at some time. Nice combo to have, I must say. Greg

23. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

b-bob, It is not a 60hp trans. Pull the top off and measure the width of the shifting forks and you can figure out what you have. It is an 85hp type, question is if it is early or late, and the forks will tell the tale. Greg

24. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Check the serial number on the top front of the case. It will confirm all this. Trans appears to be a normal 85 hp type. Tower appears to be a 33-35 type. Rear support is a 33-34 type. The clutch arm appears to be 33-34. A look inside will confirm type of gears. This is Not a 60hp unit.

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Actually, the tower shape tells the tale. The angle back dates it to '33-'35...'32 had bosses cast in for E-brake, as I recall...not sure.
    But the case has numbers on the lower rear, which are reliable as to series.

My green book is on top of my small desk, which is under my large drafting desk. (Buried!) So I operate from memory...LOL (message to self: DIG OUT that green book!)

Consequently, Bruce Lancaster is a most useful source! (thanks, Bruce)

26. b-bob

b-bob

OK, number on top of housing is 18-295862

Number on shift tower is 40-7222

What I want to do with this trans. is bolt it to a Cling's adaptor
    And put it behind the 4-banger in my model A.
    Should still be strong enough for that, as long as it will bolt to the adaptor.
    That's my concern.

27. b-bob

b-bob

Measured the forks, inside measurements are front 2 7/8s
    rear is 1 3/4

Hope this conforms what I have.

28. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

The early style for sure, as the others have said. That will be more than enough for a Model A and will bolt up to the adapter just fine.

29. b-bob

b-bob

Thanks for the help, now at least I know what I have.

30. b-bob

b-bob

One more question, does this 33/4 trans still have the same syncos as the newer ones? At least going up threw the gears? I know they don't go back into first, but hopefully on the way up.

I obviously don't have much experience with these trans., so I appreciate the help.