Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead 6 tranny to flathead 8 engine????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captain j, Mar 24, 2009.

1. captain j

captain j

I currently have a 53 mercury flathead 8. I was at the junkyard and found an approx. 52 ford pickup that had a flathead 6 with a open drive tailshaft 4 speed tranny that I would like to use on my merc engine. The tranny looks like it would be close to bolting up but I don't want to spend $400 and then pull it and get itt home and not work.
    Does anyone know if it will bolt up I know ford usually made things similar and match other years. I know the mercury has a 10 spline clutch plate in it now.
    thanks

2. captain j

captain j

3. I got two of those 4 speed truck trannys with two flatties I bought. One even has a PTO on one side (came out of a '52 COE I'm told). These are apparently "hay haulers" with a looooow first gear. Maby ya could change out the gearing to be driver freindly but ya still have a clunky truck tranny I'm guessing. I quit the idea and went with a T5 which is tried and true. But with the opendrive shaft ya mentioned, ya wouldnt have to spend the $$$ for an open drive adapter like I did when using my closed drive "banjo" rearend.

4. captain j

captain j

yeah the t-5 was the other option I was gonna go, may be the way. I wanted to keep everything on the car as old as possible

5. R Pope

R Pope

Those "farmer four" trannys are no good in a rod. If it has the bellhousing adapter that has the older trans pattern on it, you can use it to put a '48 or earlier trans on your Merc.

6. Southfork

Southfork

Are you sure that it's a 'farmer 4-speed'? I've found a couple of open drive three speed trannys behind 1940's in-line 6 pickup engines, and they are the lighter variety with good gears --- not as good as the T5 gearing, but like the 39 Ford passenger car tranny gearing.