Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathad Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty petcock, Sep 18, 2007.

1. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

OK, so it's a fresh built 8ba. I put about 100 miles on it, and everything worked geat. I drove home, and it rained out that night. The engine got wet. I blew it off, and now it has weak to no spark. I have been trying a few different things the last few days, and no luck. New coil, re gapped points, new plugs, cap looks fine. WTF?? Anyone??

2. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

You may try lightly cleaning the points with fine emory cloth or 600-800 sand paper. It could also be the condensor. If you have a little extra $$, i recommend a Mallory Unilite. I'm constantly caught in the rain and have driven a few 100 miles in it without any problem.

3. jetmek

jetmek

drop it by my place....i could use a flower planter on the front lawn:D

4. Ole don

Ole don

The coil on a stocker faces up, and water gets into the tower sometimes. Flood the area with WD 40 and try again.

5. Retro61

Retro61

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">After you get it going, you may want to do what i did to mine, ditched the points and put in a Pertronix Ignitor! It was easy!, and mine runs a whole lot better. I think i gave a bout $50.00 for it, money well spent!
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6. cruzr

cruzr

i also run a mallory,great investment,trouble free

7. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

what he said the unilite`s work great 18 years without having to deal with point`s !
    although I think the new msd would be a better buy now.

8. 55 f350

55 f350

just bring the flatty to me and i'll keep it for a spare and you can put in something less troublesome .... hee hee :D

9. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

it's got a mallory, and it's sitting with no luck. jetmek, it's a mile all down hill from my house to yours. I think it's time for a life size hot rod soap box dirby run...

10. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

is it a unilite ? or twice the point`s problem`s ?

11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

"Wet" usually affects the inside of the distributor cap. Not only dry it out but wipe it out to eliminate any carbon tracking. Just because it got wet is no reason to condemn breaker points-I've hosed down a lot of engines with point style ignitions over the years and once dried out they ran like a charm. I never had to clean points or replace condesors.

12. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

CONDENSOR.. All fixed. back on the road. I figured everything was new, how could it be bad. I figured wrong.

13. Ole don

Ole don

For some unknown reason, when the new cars went to ignitions that dont need condensers, they forgot how to make condensers as trouble free as in past years.