Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FlatCad Racing - Feature Video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lancer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Lancer

Lancer

I had the opportunity to sit down with Don Binkley and get the whole story of how the FlatCad team came to be. The HAMB was a major player. Enjoy the video.

2. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I did the aero package on the Flat Cad. All that front end and the wing on the rear was done here in my shop. The rules for Bonneville limit you in some areas. That is why at times you end up with some unusual body panels. Nice video. I hope that Flat Cad runs again soon.

John

mgtstumpy, James D, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. One helluva story and the work that brings it togather.Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am glad to see that a good part of the history relating to the building of this car has finally been documented.
    I was a peripheral participant in the very early stages, but due to work and distance restriction never did get to commit as many of these others have to their great credit and dedication.

There is another story before this story even but that said, what these guys have done as a team is just fantastic.
    I had my doubts at times when I heard how they were going, but they never gave up and now have the records to prove it.

Buddy Walker is a real nice guy with an unbelievable vision of how this car was going to be built and powered.
    Congratulations and best wishes to all the Team,
    Russ.

loudbang, MO_JUNK and Texas Webb like this.

5. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Great video.
    I was the guy that loaned the SBC engine for the first year.
    Driving that car was the most fun you could have with your clothes on.
    I am glad to have met and know all of the people associated with the car. Great friends.

mgtstumpy, loudbang and MO_JUNK like this.
  6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Boy, it would be great if Buddy put together and Honour Board of the names of folks who some how contribute to the journey.
    That is history in the making and easily lost and forgotten after a few years...

loudbang likes this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

We are gonna try real hard to be back on the salt in 2020 and hit 200 with the Flatcad so stay tuned things are in the works currently

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy, James D and loudbang like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

GREAT update. Sorry to say we don't see much about it on the HAMB anymore.

9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well the car has been down since we last ran at el mirage as there was an engine fire from a fuel line that ruptured and as we all know this ain’t cheap so it’s took a good while to save some bucks for repairs and a few upgrades along the way not to mention life kinda got in the way a bit but things are back on track and as soon as some show able progress happens we will be updating as we proceed so stay tuned

loudbang likes this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, love the back story as it certainly sets the scene. Way back when I joined the HAMB FlatCad was featured in a local magazine and Buddy wanted some copies so I tracked down the publisher here and got the last couple of copies in print, boxed them up and did a shuttle service to get them over to the US. I met another HAMber here in the local airport on layover between flights and he was kind enough to deliver the box of goodies to Buddy, we saved heaps on freight.
    Anyway back OT, a simple go-fast concept, a group of individuals with diverse talents and a shared passion who all display a level of commitment and enthusiasm not to mention innovative thinking and a single vision. I can see that flathead in a streamliner only limited by the laws of physics, how far can the boundaries be pushed before it reaches the point of no return and detonates? Amazing HP for an old world [Dinosaur] engine with modern real world technology supporting it all the way to hopefully 300mph.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Once again to all who en devour to take a challenge and go for it ........ great job, and to Buddy n Dale thanks for all the help on Forever 43 over the years, your always welcome here..............

loudbang likes this.
  12. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Are the plans to run In 2020 still going on ?

loudbang likes this.
  13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yes they are we have been getting things in order and once things start happening we will be updating everybody

loudbang likes this.
  14. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

The Flat Cad may have a hard time running again at El Mirage, let alone Bonneville, with, what I understand, some unfulfilled obligations left hanging.