Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATCAD RACING Bonneville 2011 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Greetings from Ohio Buddy . . . just checked out the thread and the car looks like it is in good solid shape for this build.

God only knows I like flatheads (maybe obsessed is a better term?) . . . this should be a very fun and unique experience - let the flathead horsepower Gods be nice to us . . .

2. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Dave, I hope you come to Bonneville, and hang with us for the week!

I bet the flathead horsepower gods are already smiling- I just hope it's in anticipation!

I spent the day with a CAD modeler/digitizer. I now have two-piece heads on CAD. This will allow us to use different chamber designs, to see what will flow best for us. I thought this was pretty cool stuff!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  3. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Buddy, Thanks so much for the invite. The info about you making your own heads is down right outrageous ! I know you can get aftermarket high compression heads but these new heads are way boeyond my comprehension. I will definitley keeping an eye on your head design.

4. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Buddy, No problem. Hope you build one very healthy Flat Cad !

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Afte some fussin and discussin, we decide on a Halibrand quickchange, over the GM 7.5". Wrenchbender sent me pics, as he starts the install.It will still be a 4-link setup.

out with the old, in with the new.

Attached Files:

6. choptvan

choptvan

HEll yeah! I want to chop this thing. Hurry up! HA HA!

7. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Choptvan, See you live in Colorado Springs. I have a previous supervisor that lives there. He is a Air Force Lt Col that went reserves and then retired. Brings back good memories when we worked together at the U.S Air Force Test Pilot School.
    Looking forward to when you chop the Chevy for Buddy. Not too much though . . . ..

8. choptvan

choptvan

just a trim. Not to much. Doesn't need it anyway...

9. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Buddy, You'll come up with something. Looking forward to build of your coupe.

10. edweird

edweird

i'm proud to say that i did the lettering on that car.

11. choptvan

choptvan

Hell yeah we do! C.mon end of the month....

12. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

When you run a flathead Cad in XXO does it have to stay under 325 max when youre using after market or home made heads like the OHV inline engines ?

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If it's under 326 inches it would be in XO unless your converting it to OHV. No matter what kind of flatheads are on it he can run up to 375 inches in XXO

14. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

So you can change heads on a flathead but not modify them on an OHV engine like the Buick. Seems fair to me. Is there any possable way to make the SCTA rule book any more vague ? Anyway good luck with it & hope to see it there on the salt. Anything new & different is Ok by me

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

If you're referring to the Salt Cat incident, they simply got a raw deal! I've read Rich's posts, and know he agrees.

The Salt Cat guys have my deepest respect, as they are constantly improving, and performing well!

I'm simply swicthing flatheads, for different flatheads. If I put valves in the heads, for example, I'd have to be under 325 CI to remain XXO.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  16. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I was referring to that but not to cause problems just out of curiosity, I really didnt know. Doug & Frank {Salt Cat}are friends of mine but I wish you the best of luck. Im for anything that doesnt have a Hemi, small or big block in it, the stranger the better. I have nothing but respect for Rich Fox !

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I didn't think it was directed at me, and thanks for the good wishes! I, too, have a lot of respect for Rich.

...and in spite of the set back, I see the Salt Cat guys did it again this week. <CITE>They are truly amazing, and inspiring racers!</CITE>

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The question not answered is could Buddy add or redirect ports on his block? Of course the Cad already has pretty good ports for a flathead V8. But there are 3 category's of Vintage engines in the SCTA. V4F-XF- and XO. V4F and XF may add or redirect ports within their valve in block architecture without being bumped into V4 or XXF. Only by using "Specialty Cast" OHV (Ardun-Crager) heads will they be bumped up to V4 or XXF. Overhead inline engines in XO may port and polish original heads. But adding a "Specialty Cast or manufactured" head (12 port GMC) moves them into XXO. Now, apparently, adding ports to an OEM Buick head will also move you into XXO. So what if you add ports to a flathead Studebaker engine? Would that put you in XXO? I don't know. If not why not? If so how is that justified?

19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Good question Rich!

If I 'split' the siamesed center exhaust, in the block, does this count?

And who do I ask, if the Vintage tech committee does not have the last say?

20. Now that is a question whose answer we need to know! Flathead Fords have been running 'dividers' in the center exhaust for years. Wouldn't surprise me if the early Olds OHV guys were doing it as well.

Who can we ask to clarify the rules - so we don't have trouble just because we put a divider in the center exhaust port? If the divider is in the port but doesn't come out to the top/flange . . . is it considered different than one that does?

Dale "Cast Iron Nose" Hays

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Olds would be OK since it's not in a "Vintage" class anyway. Your Cad, I guess, needs an answer from the full Board to be safe. In writing.

22. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'll do that Rich!

In the mean time, we are still looking for more team/crew members. Currently, there is myself, Bored&Stroked, Rustybucket, Pete1, Wrenchbender,Moparsled,and Choptvan.

If you have any skills you want to contribute, or if you want to be part of the crew, shoot me a PM!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  23. choptvan

choptvan

I just want to get it here and get it solid/sound ASAP. I will be going though. How could I pass it up.

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Buddy, Are you looking for "Dave 41" or "41 Dave" ? If so I am here.

25. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

Sorry for the complete lack of posts to this thread, kids have taken most of my board and build time. You can tell by the spider webs growing on my build thread on this board.

I am definitely interested, and don't think I could miss the chance to see you run this thing.

26. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Glad to have you Kevin!

The rear end is in, and we started mocking up the engine in it, so we can get the proper ride height.

Once this and the tranny are in, the front suspension will be next.

Attached Files:

27. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Are you going to leave it patinaed out or paint it ?. A year seems pretty optimistic right now, hope you make it. Ill stop by and say hello if you do.

28. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

HaHa! It will have paint-I don't think I could do a Rat Rod Racer!

It'll be ready, but it's going to take a lot of work. We have a bunch of
    great team members, and I don't believe any of them are afraid of the time or effort.

It would be great to meet you! I'm also hoping to meet the Salt Cat guys, and Hudson Boys- I really dig what both of them are doing.

29. Lookin GOOD Buddy, I sure am rootin for you and that Cadi.

6 crew members and hunting ??? Hot Dog man... your on fire!
    I went out there with an 8th grade drop out kid and a pick-up truck.
    {not pretty}

30. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Rich, I did just that! I have not, howver, received ANY replies back we'll see what happens.

Thank Jeff!

Right now, everyone can go. Who knows next August? In addition, we'll be changing classes a couple of times, so there will be tons of work to do.

We have a great race team! Everyone is involved at some level- suspension work, chop, CAD design, cam/lifter work, engine work and design, tech advice and Bonneville experience.

Anyone we would add to the team would have to be dedicated, bring something to the table, and want this as bad as we all do!

I think the others would agree, that this is more than racing. For most of us, this is our first trip to the salt. There is only ONE first time, and we want to make it an experience of a lifetime. While we are all VERY competitive by nature, we realize we probably won't set the world on fire this first trip. Rather, we are trying to make this a memorable experience, and build a solid racing foundation, good team, and friendships that will last a lifetime.

<!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_1146a7c9-a5c6-46d1-b9b5-743bed67b04e -->

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012