Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flat tow question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Mar 29, 2021.

1. At my age, it's not an option driving my T 100 miles to a 4 day car show. I am thinking about flat towing it, but with two back surgeries, disconnecting the drive shaft would be very hard. I have access to a trailer, but it's a bit much for my Jeep JK wrangler. Question is: what if I "flat tow" with the engine idling...

2. By the way, I have a decent tow bar...

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I don't think I'd drag a running vehicle down the road. You can still buy tow hubs last I knew.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done when I had to tow a little front wheel drive box with wheels with an automatic a distance but truthfully I'd look for a bigger tow rig or a lighter trailer.
    I don't have an issue with flat towing like some guys do though. Some times you have to put a bungie cord on the steering wheel to help it return to center after a turn but other than not getting carried away with towing the rig too fast and making sure that you have plenty of room to stop it isn't an issue for me.

It looks like the tow capacity of a 2 door is 2000 lbs and a 4 door is 3500 lbs.

mgtstumpy likes this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I wouldn't flat tow an auto any distance even when idling, despite having airflow through radiator. Too many liability risks. However if it was manual, place car in neutral and use a tow dolly rather than a trailer unless you fit a 'A' frame like they did back in the day. I wouldn't tow in reverse on a dolly either, way too dangerous with bad weight distribution and then you'd need to lock the steering.

Lil32 likes this.
  6. The budget is to tight for "tow hubs". The trailer is a pretty heavy dual axle with surge brakes. I would also have to deal with fees for trailer parking, doable, but then I would have to get my Jeep and the T back to the hotel from the off site trailer parking lot and it's only me and my 13 year old son. My buddy I normally go with has bailed because he doesn't want to wear a mask, and refuses to get a vaccine. By the way, Uhaul will not rent a trailer that will be pulled by a Wrangler...

7. I swear this exact thread was posted 3-4 years ago

clem, abe lugo and Bandit Billy like this.
  8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'd say you put up enough reasons not to go...

egads, flynbrian48, upspirate and 2 others like this.
  9. greybeard360

greybeard360

You have a 13 year old son, how old can you possibly be? 100 mile trip isn't any big deal. I have towed a race car that far, raced all day and towed it back home that evening.

10. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

They make drive shaft disconects. I have toed with them with no problem.

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

3DBE1E69-A5BE-43AD-8EC2-2EEFAFF04E58.jpeg

I use a Reese adjustable tow bar with the tabs bolted on the axle

12. getow

getow

Well alot of things might be an issue. For starters, you wont know if there is a problem like overheating or losing oil pressure etc when your not in the running vehicle. And if your not willing to drop a drive shaft, are you capable of changing a flat tire. Or dealing with a brake issue hanging up, etc. Either forget towing it running, or find another way todo it safely. Or better yet. DRIVE IT. Same risk as towing it, but waaaaay more fun. Live alitta, have fun....

13. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

When my son was 13, he could R&R a simple driveshaft.

RICH B and clem like this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think your best option is to drive it the 100 miles, that's 1 tank of gas. Hell, stop half way and stretch the legs if you have to.

egads, caseywheels, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  15. gene-koning

gene-koning

I don't know, we are talking about removing a drive shaft 2 times and installing a drive shaft 2 times on a T bucket where the rear end should be pretty close to the back end of the ride, for 4 days of fun with your 13 yo grandson?

I think I'd teach him how to remove and install the driveshaft and the tow bar. If he would enjoy the car show, he would probably be thrilled to be involved in the effort of getting to and from the show. "I got to help grandpa work on the T bucket when we went to the car show.." Sounds like something a kid would brag about for a long time! Gene

RICH B, Driver50x, Happydaze and 7 others like this.
  16. jaracer

jaracer

If you tow a standard transmission in neutral, the cluster gear will not be turning. That means that no lube is being thrown on the main shaft, the bearing between it and the input shaft, and the output bearing. You can get by with this for short distances, but in the 100 miles mentioned you would probably do damage.

17. I am assuming the T you are towing has an automatic transmission and that's what you are worried about? They make small pumps that plumb into the cooler lines of the transmission so you can flat tow and still have lube to the rotating parts of the trans. Most places that set up motorhomes to tow should be able to fix you up. I have seen many minivans to small sedans with automatic transmissions flat towed this way behind motorhomes.

Boneyard51 and rustydusty like this.
  18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

100 miles is 2 hours , c'mon man . Unless you're unsure of the T's road worthiness ???

Lil32, Blues4U and 210superair like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

QUOTE="jaracer, post: 14006853, member: 64860"]If you tow a standard transmission in neutral, the cluster gear will not be turning. That means that no lube is being thrown on the main shaft, the bearing between it and the input shaft, and the output bearing. You can get by with this for short distances, but in the 100 miles mentioned you would probably do damage.[/QUOTE]

That may well be but in the early 60's several of the major super stock class racers flat towed from one side of the country all the time before they got enough sponsors to afford a tow rig and trailer or a car hauler. That old nonsense doesn't really fly.

20. Wait for a closer event. Why mess with the hassle or the pain? This hotrodding shit's supposed to be fun.

21. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Think of the 100 miles as a dare... Drive it.

Lil32 likes this.
  22. Actually I am 69 years old, my wife is 20 years younger than me, and we have two sons, 10 and 13 years old. (I was a late bloomer...) I have 10 fused vertebrae in my back so driving the T 100 miles is not an option. I have been doing this show (OC Cruisin') for 25 years and have driven hot rods and muscle cars every year. I'm not ready to give up the T for one long distance cruise in a year and I only have space and funds for one car. I will definitely check out the pump for the transmission cooling line.

210superair and hotrodharry2 like this.
  23. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Wish I was in your area, I have a lightweight tandem axle trailer that would be perfect for your needs. I tow it behind a Honda CR V and have towed light weight cars such as your T on it with no problem. In this situation you have to tow with safety in mind and drive slower and be extra careful even with trailer brakes. No friends with such a trailer? I know it may be hard to ask a friend but what are friends for? Help each other out in situations such as this. Good Luck!

lothiandon1940 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

What about renting a larger SUV or pickup to pull a trailer with? I’m think some of the rental companies have larger vehicles like that, and you could also rent a uhaul trailer if you needed to that way.

Blues4U, 31hotrodguy and 210superair like this.
  25. I want to thank everyone for their advice. My brother has the tandem axle trailer but it's a 4 hour round trip to get it and again to return it. He is also not attending the show because he will have to wear a mask. I found an electric transmission pump at Jeg's that ought to do the trick. First I am going to tow the T around the neighborhood and see if will tow alright...

26. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

BS Man, just drive the "T" down to the local U-Haul have your wife drive your tow vehicle and get them to load the "T" onto the trailer. Once you get to the show, just grab someone to help you. I say this because of what I remember about the R&C custom pick-up truck after it was rolled while being flat towed. I have to give you credit, a wife of 20 years younger and you have two kids, good for you but I wonder how you got the back problem. Just kidding, I am probably the same age as you.

27. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That sounds much safer than a running car being towed in neutral, I've seen one car hop out of neutral into drive and crash into gate, I repaired one that went through a garage. It might be bad deal at a stop light with the towed car pushing unexpectedly.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  28. patterg2003

patterg2003

I have a !/2 crew cab and my son has a 3/4T super cab diesel truck. About once a year I need to pull something larger than my truck can handle like my wife's camper. We swap vehicles for a day or few. We made sure that was acceptable for the insurance companies and that is how we do things. My truck is a second vehicle and if my son's truck has to go to the garage then I will lend him my truck until his is returned. That may work for you if your brother is okay with a swap for a couple days.

29. All ready tried that. The Jeep does have a towing capacity of 3500 lbs but Uhaul won't rent you a trailer because it's a convertible... renting a truck and trailer for four days is cost prohibitive. I already have a tow bar, and if I can convince the wife that I need the transmission cooling pump, then that's the plan!

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  30. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Those of us that flat towed Jeeps solved that problem by stopping every 100 miles or so and running the engine and going through the gears with the clutch in. There is a paragraph in the CJ owner's manual addressing this issue.

jaracer and 31hotrodguy like this.