Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flat head yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5wcoupehunter, Sep 27, 2021.

1. That's too nice of a car to mess with! Maybe a transmission upgrade (there are synchromesh conversions available), higher rear end ratio, and some engine tweaks.
    Face it, due to it's size and overall mechanical design, a Model A isn't a freeway cruiser that you're apt to jump in and go cross-country in... unless you have plenty of time for 'stretch breaks'. Leave it pretty much as-is, and enjoy it!

flatheadpete, Elcohaulic and Stogy like this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

T5, high compression head, intake, header.

Drive it until the wheels fall off. Put the wheels back on, repeat until it is no longer fun.

Then, and only then, move on to a V8.

Stogy likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do what ever you want. I’d cut down on the width of the rear wide whites actually the tire diameter is a lot off to my eyes but that’s me.
    I would do the flathead. Stock appearing with maybe 2 carbs, iron heads, stock cam, painted green. Keeping it quiet. I’d like to see the 5 speed with Jeep shifter and a Speedway Engineering (Sylmar Ca.) quick change. The color combo is perfect for an “upgraded” A.

4. Happened to me once. I was in a civilian car and stopped a good 15 to 20 metres before the kid who ran out from between two cars (he was shorter than the car hoods so invisible until he was actually on the road.)
    Still, my heart was pounding - close call. As I drove on I had a lot of 'what if' scenarios running through my head. None of them pleasant.

p.s. the kid's mother was on the side walk talking to another mother.

5. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You now have two of the nicest looking model As on the planet in my opinion.Tranny swap is about as far as I could bring myself to do on that sweety. What size tires are you running? What a stance..

The37Kid, 210superair and Stogy like this.
  6. adam401

adam401

Flathead v8, 3 speed, 5 inch chop.

7. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Thank you for the kind words, I run 5.25s on the front and 7.50s on the rear.

8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you thought about building a 3rd car, flattie V8 roadster for example leaving this one as is?

The37Kid and rod1 like this.
  9. clem

clem

Yep, can give you a fright, - recently I had a young teenager on a skateboard think he could get across the road before me, - then he fell in front of my ute, - when I stopped and he stood up, he could have touched my bonnet. Fortunately for him I saw his hesitation as he started to cross and my foot was already heading to the brake pedal…….

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I agree with all the opinions above, lol. Man I love a flathead 8, but I must admit I'd probably drive it as is until it required attention. That's one of the baddest azz looking examples I've seen, really dig that car. Hard to look at it and think it needs anything.

Your car, your call. No matter what you do you got a real beauty there...

The 39 guy and The37Kid like this.
  11. millersgarage

millersgarage

no need to put a v8 in. You are already enjoting it with the 4cyl.
    As stated above, some driveline upgrades would be first on my list before an engine swap.

12. v8flat44

v8flat44

Tranny upgrade & run the four till it runs no more. It's never too late for a flat V8.

osage orange, bchctybob, rod1 and 2 others like this.
  13. v8flat44

v8flat44

An option ? Looks nice 2 me
    [​IMG]

osage orange, hfh, Chili Phil and 4 others like this.
  14. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

If you are looking for better performance you can do a late model OHV crate motor a lot cheaper than an old flathead and and more HP....

15. Hmmmm .... this might be a good choice ;)

upload_2021-9-28_11-46-25.jpeg

210superair and '28phonebooth like this.
  16. Beautiful car and excellent photography. If it was mine I would add some speed equipment to the banger and leave the transmission alone. If I really needed to make a change I would add an engine like the 181 cubic inch mercruiser marine (the GM industrial engine) adapted to an early ford transmission (32 and up) which is what I have in my AVATAR.

Charlie Stephens

'28phonebooth likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yet.

Hnstray, RMONTY, ottoman and 3 others like this.
  18. Christian Moller

Christian Moller

V8 flathead,5spd closed drive and then leave it, it looks great:).(i want it:D)
    Avatar -31 is just like that except for the T5, they are like hens teeth in Sweden so i took an AW 5 instead from a Jeep Cherokee.
    /Christian

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021

19. I gotta agree with this. Keep the modifications simple and enjoy it!

lippy likes this.
  20. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If you want to be able to drive it on an expressway:
    Flathead (or ohv), 5 speed overdrive, and one of those open drive conversions for the rear end.
    Then put all the parts you removed in a crate, seal it and keep it.

If you just want to putt around town and never get on an xway........why change anything?
    In either case you aren't actually building a car to beat anyone at a stoplight, only building for driving around.

21. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Juice breaks ? Are your brakes leaking ?

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just out of curiosity how did that car get registered/insured without any front brakes? Model As had fronts from day one so it's hard for me to understand how the DMV would allow that...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  23. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Here in Florida, there are no inspections. They're very lenient, the car also runs with open headers, and has for over 10 years. Believe it or not I drive that car almost every day.

24. grdra1

grdra1

25. twenty8

twenty8

Quoted from above: "So much hate, from a forum about traditional hot rods. Yeah most of you traditional guys have power windows and air conditioning power brakes the street rod in disguise. Back in the day there was a lot of T buckets with no front breaks. If you're worried about safety don't drive a hot rod.All I'm seeing is a bunch of hypocrites. This is becoming more of a street rod forum.don't forget your airbags, an anti-lock brakes. Now I remember why I stopped coming on this forum. And by the way this car has more street miles then most of the car is on here, with no incidence."

Sometimes, even though the voice of reason is actually screaming, it is still not heard..................:confused:

26. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

27. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Lol i'll build my own thanks.

28. Hop up the banger, leave the stock running gear, and ignore the pinky ring, gold chain wearing trend chasers who do not and will never understand period correct hot rodding!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    51 mercules and Just Gary like this.
  29. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a time when I would say a car is too nice to modify but as nice as it is, it is still a Model A.
    There are probably thousands nice original ones out there. If it were a rare car different story. A cherry Model A is the perfect platform for a killer hot rod. Your car is a perfect example. If you decide on a flathead surely someone will make good use of the banger. Do what makes you happy it is just a car.:cool:

chiro and 5wcoupehunter like this.