Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flat Head Oil Filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haroldd1963, Jun 9, 2008.

1. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Dad and I are just about done rebuilding the 59AB flathead in our 31 Ford Roadster.

Dad built the engine the first time back in the 50's. He did not run an oil filter. We are installing a cannister type filter this time.

My question is: When running the line from the back of the engine, we are installing a tee fitting so we can run an oil guage also, should we install a tee with no restrictor? Or should there be a restrictor in the line leading to the oil filter?

2. mtflat

mtflat

Yes. There needs to be a restrictor in the line to the filter.

Gotta be cool working with Dad on this project! Have a blast with it.......

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I measured a stock restrictor, or tried to, for Flatdog; it fell into a zone that I could not fit with any drill bits or paperclips on the kitchen table, but I bracketed it and think .060 is about right. We decided we were close and hung it up...will pursue and get a real measurement if anyone cares.
    Flatdog, naturally, had thought about this more than most people; he noted that restrictor was not actually to restrict total diverted flow through filter as I had glibly assumed...this is nicely controlled by the small holes letting oil out through central tube. The restrictor is to keep input below output through those other holes so engine oil pressure can't blow out the rather primitive top gasket!

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Weatherhead part # was 1512 ,.062 orfice.