Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flat Head HELP...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tchurch, Nov 6, 2007.

1. tchurch

tchurch

Dropped the pan on our 52 - F2 last night.

The clean out needed attention and the pan was bent, so we decided to make the repair and try to figure out what was, we thought, a rap...

Found that GAS was getting into the pan and thinning out the oil. Everything is OK, as well as clean, but where is the GAS coming from ??

Is it the fuel pump ?? I am used to OHV engines like the SBF/SBC and GAS in the oil was generally the fuel pump.

You experts out there should know...

??? Where can I get a good book on these stock flat head engines ???

Thanks,
    Tchurch :eek:

2. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Are you sure it isn"t coming from the carb. and down the intake

3. I'vre had this caused by an overly rich mixture caused by a leaking or failed powervalve.

Danny

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Most likely from a cracked rubber diafram in the stock fuel pump- if your using one. Once this happens gas drains into pan.

5. tchurch

tchurch

Thanks,

Yeah I believe the diaphram is gone. I say this because lately I have had to prime the carb to start the engine. That tells me that the gas must be leaking through the pump, down the push rod, over the cam amd into the pan.

There is a difference between gas in the oil and GAS IN THE OIL. I have raced for several years and you tend to learn how to read and smell oil.

My guess was the fuel pump, I just wanted someone to verify that fact.

Anyone know where can I get rebuild kits for old 94 carbs. This 2 BBL is off our 110 HP truck engine. I will replace the pump.

6. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

im going to say you need to check the power valve in the carb. gas is most likely leaking thru the power valve into the engine..if you have to prime the carb to start it its got to be the power valve..

7. Crestliner

Crestliner

Napa can get them.

8. tchurch

tchurch

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

NAPA sells the kits. So does Macs. www.macsautoparts.com But with so much stuff being made in China the quality is questionable. Go to www.fordbarn.com for lots of flathead info. and ask question.