Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat FED build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roseville carl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. And the beat goes on......... DSC01641.jpg DSC01642.jpg DSC01643.jpg DSC01644.jpg DSC01645.jpg DSC01646.jpg DSC01647.jpg

Drewfus, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. Question just where does your crew chief go on vacation????
    Mine........... flat.jpg

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Probably standing in poison oak. :rolleyes:

loudbang and afaulk like this.
  4. I thought the idea of going on a vacation, is to get away from the obsession. :)

loudbang likes this.
  5. Well first ya get some tube
    DSC01651.JPG
    then ya start to swear...............
    DSC01652.JPG
    Then ya bend some more....swear some more bend some more, swear some more, drop little pieces in the trash ....some may think it looks like a cluster &%$#@.......oh well
    DSC01653.JPG
    its a start
    DSC01654.JPG

And the beat goes on and on and on and on

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Are we there yet?

loudbang likes this.
  7. Na, but hope to be by Mays race....................I may be slow, but ya must realize, I'm also old............

loudbang and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

You should bring it along for show and tell anyway.:rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yup, there is a lot to be said for the 3 Ps, "Patience, Perseverance and Profanity". Many good things have been accomplished using that delicate process.:D

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. Well Eagle is over made 6 runs, not one of them complete....UG, but ya know the saying: "the worst day racing is way better than the best day working".................. did get this though DSC01685.JPG photo 1.jpg

11. greaser

greaser

Awesome. Love the trophy, Carl!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Thanx greaser It means a lot to us, Elmer was a special kinda person........

13. Cool stuff, Carl. Did you ever discover why it was bogging on you?
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  14. Yea acc pump fucked up, then changed jets also, and went the wrong way, then broke shift cable and neutral safety switch, we made 6 runs and not one of them complete, just one of those weekends I guess. At some point it goes that way..........So now now we get to making the 2 port work for May, and maybe even get the magneto to work, who knows.........

loudbang and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  15. Well, you were just passing time with the carbs until you finished the injector, so I guess your machine is telling you to getter done. I can't wait to see how it runs with the injectors.
    Bob

loudbang and greaser like this.
  16. Still pluggin away......... just goes to show ya I don't sit on my ass all the time......

loudbang and j-jock like this.
  17. Looking great. You spill gas just like I do, just enough to get on your clothes and smell up the garage.
    Is your lathe a Lantaine? The reason I ask, is because it looks identical to mine.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  18. Yea Bob not my finest moment with a gas can, but it just goes to show that not everything goes as planned. The lathe is a Smitty, not quite as good as the 36x40 Hendy I used to have but does the job only much, much slower. Miss the 7 1/2 hp 3phase and makin 1/8 in cuts at a time........ now 3/4 hp and .020 cuts at time

loudbang and olscrounger like this.
  19. Well, it might take a little longer with a smaller lathe, but you still do great work. This is a youtube link to a Lantaine that is identical to mine. It is a member of the family. :)
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  20. Well she's a gettin closer to fire up time...... belts on the way....... DSC01716.JPG DSC01717.JPG DSC01718.JPG DSC01719.JPG

loudbang and j-jock like this.
  21. All welded up ......

DSC01720.JPG DSC01721.JPG DSC01722.JPG

OahuEli, loudbang and j-jock like this.
  22. Great stuff Carl - you're finally going to run a damn injector! Once you go this route, you'll never go back to carbs. :) Are you going to be running gas or alky? I'm happy to help you get it sorted out.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Hey - what size nozzles are you running in the hat and what are you planning for your initial starting pill? Have you had the poppets setup - what pressure? This is going to be FUN!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Running gas Dale cant afford an alky suit.......Ive got .019 and .022 nozzles gonna start out with the 22's and for pills i have 120- 150 in .005 increments hoping to find a chassis dyno I can rent on the cheap. Otherwise its track time..... Just about finished with the linkage damn I love bell cranks........ only problem is i had to make two, lost the first one somewhere in the shop yesterday spent three hrs looking for it and finally said fuck it make a new one, it must have been eaten by the shop gremlins........ DSC01723.JPG DSC01724.JPG DSC01726.JPG

loudbang, OahuEli and 9sectruck like this.
  25. Hey Carl - what cubic inches is your engine and how much boost do you run? You're only going to have 4 nozzles - correct (no down nozzles). If you want, I believe I have a spreadsheet that can do some calcs. What is your pump flowed at? What GPM at what pump RPM . . . and what is the belt ratio reduction on the pump?

loudbang likes this.
  26. Yep no down nozzles, just the 4, 304CI, have no idea on pump flow its a 1/2-851 pump, 16t x 32t pulleys probably 5-7 on boost no nylon on rotors, loose pump......
    Fuel pump is the one you and Buddy game me a few years ago so its like me old and slo.

loudbang likes this.
  27. You'll need to get the pump flowed - otherwise we won't be able to calculate the fuel curve. That pump actually should be a good one - but the fuel flow curve is important. You can send it to Hilborn (or other guys that can test it). If you can't find anybody in your neck of the woods, you can send it to Fowler here in Columbus (he flows our pumps).

loudbang likes this.
  28. My guess is that you're going to need more fuel than the current nozzles you have - even for gas. :) The last thing you need is for it to be too lean!

loudbang likes this.
  29. these were the numbers I got from a friend that ran a 2 port gas flathead will have to do some more checking..... thanx

loudbang likes this.