Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat FED build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roseville carl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. B&S, yea I am going to put a bypass line on the pump just haven't done it yet will run it from the relief valve on the pump to the tank
    Fast and Loose, sounds great 675 hp is more than I want I will be happy with the flattie's hp, hell I have been wanting to do this since 1959 and now I am...
    mc tim, lookin great, with the flattie and the inlets I am not happy with what I have it was just too easy to use my setup for the test stand but after sittin in the rail its too high and gets in the way of what little vision I have so back to the drawing board......... are you gonna be ready for the 22nd?
    Rich Vensa... yea the shifter will be a hassle but as with everything, "where there's a will there's a way"

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. Is that a 'dead head' fuel pressure regulator -- looks to be? I think you also need to have a bypass style regulator -- they regulate fuel pressure a lot better than a dead-head version that will most likely have issues overcoming the pressure from the pump and also handling a low fuel pressure for the Strombergs. They tend to 'spike/fluctuate' the pressure a bunch . . . which is why I don't use them with a heavy/big mechanical or electrical pump.

Anybody know a good bypass regulator that works well at low pressures (output side) and low volume? All my stuff is BIG - have never tried to plump a couple 97's this way?

3. Now that is some funny/ironic shit right there :D You're cracking me up because I can see myself doing the same damn thing! Kind of like me keeping some pairs of older pants around . . . cause I'm sure "I'll fit back into them someday". Not a chance in hell - unless I'm rotting away in a rat infested jail in Ethiopia.

Wife just takes them to Goodwill when I'm not watching. Damn woman :D

4. Hey Carl:

Which advance mechanism/plates do you have in that mag? Are you running the standard 12 degree (24 crank) SBC mechanisms? If so, you'll probably not have an issue with a carbed motor, but if/when you go the blown route, get the mag serviced and have them put in the 8 degree plates. On a blown flathead, you'll probably only want somewhere between 12 - 20 total - depending on your tune, if you're injected, etc..

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Carl your a madman! Looks great! Hey, just an idea here. Get some big jets, put it on alky and forget the water.:D You won't need any water, in fact you can drive it all day without water. :) Love the flattie. Lippy

6. Lippy, that is where I,m headed but with the time limitations its gas for the 22nd as I have never went the alky route before, lets see alky and filled block punched way out hummmmm, for another time, first things first ..........

B&S The mag was orig a chev dist that I built a lower drive for the 8BA front plate, and I have new plates on order which I will re do later depending on which way I go.

7. Easy Carl . . . any more pondering like that and you'll soon be running a 4 3/8 Moldex crank, main girdle, 1.75 intake valves and be "tipping the can" to it. At least I hope so :D

8. I am sure trying. :cool: Just seems like when you see a light at the end there is another little thing that needs doing, I'm sure you know what I mean. I will be there and the car will be there. Ready to run? That remains to be seen.

On the other hand, I did get my trailer ready today. :D

9. Post some pics of your trailer Tim, that is my next step, I can get my hands on an old boat trailer which I am gonna modify for the rail, the price is right.......
    B&S the pic in my avitar is whats in the ICT, my 36 pickem up which was my first attempt at a flat blower motor, got about 10k on er now and man am I happy with it, so nothing is beyond imagination.......

10. I'm with you 100% of the way! Once you've owned a blown flattie - then you want ALL of them to be blown. Keep up the great work and have some fun running it. Wish I was still on the West Coast, would come see you run it and 'crew' for yah!

11. Carl, just posted them on my build thread. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464748 Mine too is an old boat trailer that I found by chance, two kids went by me as I was locking up the shop one night with the trailer in tow, I took off after them and when they stoped at the scrap yard I told them I'd give them the same as the scrap guy. $100 with a title and lights. :D New tires cost $150.

Oh and after I recover from the $ shock of this build a blower for the Y-Block is in order. My chassis was certified for 7.50 so I might as well try to get close to that. ;)

12. Thanks Tim that's a quick and neat way of making the trailer fit, thanks for the inspiration might have to copy that......Carl

13. Wow just scored a trailer, and it will be perfect the second pic with the tape spread out is the center to center of the tires. Room for a box up front and everything......[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Dang Carl, you guys will be touring soon! :D :D :D

15. Looks like you got one that was already made to fit. Good job Carl!

16. Three weeks to go Carl! What's the latest on yours? I'm bringing mine home from the shop today, time for some paint then wiring and plumbing.;)

17. Haul ass boys! Wish I was on your coast - would drive up and turn a few wrenches with yah and help make the race. Make sure you take some videos, love the sound of flathead race motors!

18. Well Tim I got a start on the trailer today. Picked up some matl, and got the tin for the body so next week its on to the body mine will not be in paint, not enough time. Redid the H2O line like it a lot better this way, got the puke tank mounted, and some carbs torn apart, spent two hrs trying to find my old carb cleaner can, as usual I crs.......... so its been a long day.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Trailer looks good laid out. Good luck with the carbs, I'm sure you know this but make sure the bodies aren't warped and use the correct power valve. ;) I will be taking mine apart today and hope to get some paint on it, no wind please. :p

20. Spent the better part of 4 hrs today at DMV but did get the trailer registered, one less project to do.......

21. Wow what a week, the Sharks are on a rampage in the NHL, got the trailer registered and today got her assembled and welded up, one less project to finish before the 22nd, whew. Got the right seat belts and got em attached, got a lead on a fire suit so its coming together, so much to do so little time....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scotty's Garage! likes this.
  22. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

Hey Carl, I've been following this thread, as well as the other FED threads... your last pic of the trailer stumps me a little.

I was figuring that the use of boat trailers kept a guy from having to have such a long set of ramps, because the chassis of the car could roll up in between the pads for the slicks, without dragging. I thought your trailer was REALLY great in this respect, with such a big area for an inboard drive.

Am I missing something?

Definitely getting the itch for a FED... I'm betting that at 6'6", 325#; I'm gonna have to build it to fit me... at least I'll have good traction!

23. Fast Yea you could have done it that way but I am going to eventually build some 2 piece hinged ramps for the back with expanded metal for the ramps and eliminate the drop down section for the boat, the rear wheel base dictated the pad size for my trailer. So for now it was easier and faster to do it this way.The white arrow in the first pic is center of the slicks.......

24. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

25. Check out Dolmetsch, He's a "Big Boy" from what I understand and he's on his second FED. ;)

26. ;>)))
    Yeah I am a big boy 5' 11'' 306#.
    Was out running my (avatar) 1st rail two week ends ago. I am 29" at the shoulders so it had to be that wide.

Why I had to wait tilll now to start building these things I will never know. Far less expensive than a door slammer and even with my little /6 I am practicly scared to death.
    Great build BTW. Nice traditional set up
    Have fun. Wish I lived nearer. Even if it was just to watch you guys run.
    Don

27. Never built a digger, just gathering parts for mine but the placememnt of the copper fulelline scares me. The small return? that goes between the belt and pulleys? Throw a belt and tear the line loose= raw fuel all over the hot engine and you. Unless I am missing something here?

28. got started on the bodywork,firewall and seat, finished the fuel lines, got firesuit and safety items, getting closer, need extra hands so much to do so little time..........
    Tman the line is venting the pump excess pressure return and may not be needed, will have to see when I fire it up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. promachine

promachine
    from chico ca.

Interesting thread, I scored a 1960 Dragmaster about 2 years ago with the original Dragmaster trailor and evrything that the guy ever collected with the car, incliding trophys and vary well docunented history.
    I have it allmost completed now and she has a injected flattie with an in and out box and a quickie out back.
    Gonna put it on fuel and just use it for car shows and stuff because it won't be legal to run anywhere anyhow.
    As soon as I learn how to post pictures I will get some shots up.

30. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Bring it to Eagle Field!:D