Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat FED build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roseville carl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Looks like you're having fun with the casting. Thanks for the reminder about the belts, I do believe I'm due. Last year I just swaped with the truck, they're good for five years with SCTA.

2. Carl, what are you teaching that grandson??:eek:

Everything I can Buddy, maybe some of it will rub off. Humm maybe it has???........ Now if I can just get him to listen........

Yea Tim check your belts, another expense......

3. Well added some correct fuel lines to the mix......
    [​IMG]

Now to finish the 4x2 fuel rail and manifold to have something else to do......

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Wow that's pretty!

5. Goose

Goose

Tom ran the rail at Hardinsburg US60 Dragway this weekend. Ran 7.95 in the 1/8. The previous best time was 8.28 last year. The 2110 Holley carbs seem to be working. We may be getting a blower to use real soon. Looking forward to seeing if we get it and how much it will help!

Attached Files:

6. AHha. I see you are into the fun stuff too.
    BTW easiest way to pour is make the part out of blue styrofoam. Put a pour riser from styro foam at one end and a vent at the other end. be generous with the size. Then just bury it in your casting sand. Even if it is a bit dry or not perfect you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction. It is by far the easiest method.
    Have fun but I see you already are!
    And BTW for all of you Eagle Fielders running Saturday we will be thinking of you as we run at Picton Airfield. May you have a good safe race day and gobs and gobs of fun
    Don

j-jock likes this.
  7. Re belts. While I am sure there are dirty worn out belts improperly installed and frayed that should be a simple "Your belts dont pass. Replace them. Meanwhile here I run the car 2 to 4 days per year. The belts in the car are 3 inch premiums (certifiable 4 year dealies) and now in their fourth year have 12 runs on them , are spottless , and have never been outside except for a few hours at those races. The belt rule really ticks me off too. Used to be "Belts must be properly installed and in good condition". A very fair and rational approach to the situation. The 2 year rule has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with "we can get the belt manufacturers to shell out for contingency money and sponsorship of races if we make a rule everyone must buy new belts every 2 years."
    Don

8. [​IMG]

Love the push rig!!!! also the dragster!!!!!!

9. MissBelvedere

MissBelvedere

Thanks Goose for posting the pics of the weekend! We had a REALLY great time hanging out with everyone in KY and spending time and spending time on the track. Tony you did a fine job and we look forward to doing it again super soon. The rail ran its best times ever so we are super pleased!

10. Goose

Goose

Maybe you can talk Tony into doing it on a Sunday so I can go!!

11. I just love both these rails. Wish I lived nearby. I would come to play as well.
    Cars like these are more fun then anyone can imagine. So much fun that the times become secondary to the experience , the revival and enjoment of vintage style racing just like it was. The period correct push vehicles are the icing on the cake. Very cool!
    Don

12. So much fun that the times become secondary to the experience , the revival and enjoment of vintage style racing just like it was. The period correct push vehicles are the icing on the cake. Very cool!

yea Don that about says it all. I don't win much at all but you can't wipe the grin offn my face after each run if you tried. Just to be able to make it down the track is an accomplishment in my book and the feeling is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!!.......

Latest update:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and had to plug up hole.....
    [​IMG]
    will also leave clearance for the 4-71
    [​IMG]

13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looking good Carl, Funny How we always find something else to build ,or rebuild on the cars, Tim Jones

14. Went to Eagle this weekend, had a blast!!
    RJ gettin air...
    [​IMG]

Me trying to do same.....
    [​IMG]

She ran good all weekend......
    video at 11.....

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

How good?:D

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Great shots carl, Looks like the car got more air than the flagman,,,, Tim Jones

17. Good seeing you there Carl! Sorry we couldn't stay for the second day but we had other things to do. ;)

[​IMG]

18. Yea we missed ya on Sunday Timmer hope it went well in da dessert

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nice work with the graduation from 3 to 4 Strombergs, Carl!
    Those were some fast, straight camera rides...Please remember to send me the flathead site.

'Uncle Mike'

20. yea Mike we had a blast this weekend enjoyed talking to ya............

21. Congrats on a great weekend. Looks like you have the thing really cookin!
    I am kinda in the same boat as you as I dont have any other similar powered cars to race so I go up against the big block altered and rails. Ocassionaly I pull the rabbit out of the hat and the crowd goes wild. Car works so well I am hesitant to even put on the tunnel ram. I for one can appreciate your flattie and I hope you nix the blower. I did for mine and it is sitting right in the shop under a bench. The crowd seems to appreciate the car as I am sure you find with yours. That"air" is impressive!
    Don

22. Jere33my

Jere33my
    from usa

There are a couple build threads on the HAMB that address this process.[​IMG]

23. I hope you nix the blower. I did for mine and it is sitting right in the shop under a bench. The crowd seems to appreciate the car as I am sure you find with yours. That"air" is impressive!
    Don

Well Don everything with this and me is a process of elimination, started with a slug, built an engine added more carbs... next is alky and if everything is stable maybe I'll keep it that way, but I do want to give the huffer a try???????..........hummmm damn this is fun...............

I hope Bill will post the pics he has of both me and Dimitri in the air at the line was a great photo op for those who were there, plus a blast for both me and D ..........<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

24. Hey Carl: Was wondering why you are using copper lines for the fuel lines? That stuff makes me very nervous around fuel! :eek:

25. Dale as long as the lines are soild and not subject to movement and work hardening I don't have a problem using them, my rail is solidly bolted to manifold ............. I use steel on the tank to frame ect because of movement and flex................

26. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

ImageUploadedByTJJ1369163116.631696.jpg

Here ya go Carl. I'll get you the video soon!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That's a classic shot for the UFRA!

28. I hear ya. I have some more tricks up my sleeve but as I went around since the Sat meet three seperate people have said to me "If you change anything on that car now you are nuts. It was running perfect" I am thinking another project with same motor for trying stuff. Tis nice just to hit the switch and run all day without fighting anything. Alky might be interesting. Hadnt thought of that.
    Don

29. Yea Don the only thing that has kept me from alky so far is the safety suit requirements and assorted costs, I'm cheap and my 5 suit works for gas... but it is in the future at some point as with the filled block she does develop some heat........

besides its always neat to have a ........ future plan......