Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat FED build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roseville carl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. What Tim said...I have a sink in the garage...still manage to bring in crud now and then, but my lady has been putting up with me long enough that she is used to by it now. :D

Yea I have a sink in the garage also but lately I haven't been able to resupply my stash of Boraxo so I have been going into the house and using the kitchen sink to wash up, ticks off my bride no end. Need to resupply my hand soap to keep peace in the family, hell after 46 years you would think she would get it? <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Close behind you on that one Carl...We'll be 45 years in January. :D

3. Congrats Tom....
    Spent the day hackin n hewin the valve guides to match the ports now on to the valve job.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Are you using split guides? (two piece)

5. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

6. Tim, yea splits on the 1.6's and solids on the exhausts, I'm a glutton for punishment......

7. You are a glutton - I always had problems with valve stem wear with the splits. You're not running mushroom stems are yah?

8. I wouldn't think so, the 1.6" intakes are just chebbie exhaust valves aren't they?

9. The difference is that the factory split guides used 5/16 stems - and the typical SBC 1.6 Pro-Flow valve uses a 11/32 stem.

I used to run the early 59AB split guides due to having a smaller stem in the valve pocket area (and I reworked stock valves on a lathe). The single-piece 49-53 guides were always 11/32. Once the SBC 1.6 Pro-Flow valves became cheap and available, they already had a smaller stem in the pocket, nicely flowing shapes, etc.. There was really no reason to ever go back to the 5/16 split guides -- they are hard on valves, don't seal that well, are harder on the valve seats (move around more) and don't transfer heat out of the valve as well (especially on the exhaust side).

Also, I prefer to have the SOLID guides on the exhaust side (no groove for the oil seal) - as they transfer heat from the valve better than the intake ones that have the groove. It is not a bad thing to get the heat out of the valve and transfer as much as possible to the block . . . cooling the valve in the process.

Hope this babble makes sense!

B&S

10. Yea Dale they are old style on the intakes becaust they are what came with the block and for now what I am going with to start with. And besides its not a street engine. New style on the exhausts.........

11. Carl, I have a whole bunch of decent used one piece guides. PM me if you want them I'd send them to you happily if you do.

Dale, what you posted here makes pefect sense.

12. Thanks Tim but I have new two piece guides for the intakes which I will ream to fit the exist valves and the exhausts are in good shape so I'm good to go with what I have now, of course if you have a Potvin 425 laying around that might be another story, heh, heh, heh.............

13. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Looking good Carl:)!

Hope you make it to Eagle Field!
    Also looks you are ahead of me:D!?
    I had to do some more mods to the crank and block before final assembly.

Br
    Kjell

Taildragger&Fenderless

14. I don't know if I am ahead or behind, seems like the faster I go the behinder I get. Crank was supposed to be finished on friday at the balancers, but nope not even close so maybe tomorrow....oh well still have some more work to do on cleaning up the block boring out the two holes to final dia that I sleeved and other wonderful things to do. Anyway we took the weekend off to go to Monterey and get the cobwebs out so now maybe I can get back with the program...................

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Looking good Carl.

Contact Pete1- I know he has a master for the 425 Eliminator, so he may just have one 'laying' around!

16. farcus1

farcus1

Like your bar. I have a 777S like that and use it ALL the time. Mine has a red paint job and I have a home made boring table but for 400$ it is the shits, like this thread!:D:D:D

17. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

18. Great job. Nice car.

19. Got the two sleeves punched out and ready for pistons, got the intake gasket enlarged, port matched the 4x2 and am tired of hand grinding, now on to the valves.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for a little eye candy..........
    [​IMG]

20. plan9

plan9

I had Pete1 grind me a 425 for Bonneville this year... he will just need a good core.

Roseville Carl - where can i get that boring machine?! badass... and would save a handful of bucks too!

21. Right on Carl! Keep going, just a hair over a week left.

22. Yea Tim, I know but it looks like I won't have the new bullet done on time, haven't got the crank back yet and it may be early next week before I get it......but I did get some work done on the valves, got them ground and its off to the seats next........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Well got the crank back, balanced and new keyway for blower drive, finally now its off to bigger and better things, "and the pistons were hung on thier rods with care in hopes that Carl would soon be there" .........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

25. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Looking awesome Carl!:cool:

26. Hey Carl - just came in from the shop and saw your post - awesome, can't wait to see it together and burning the hides!

27. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You can make the under side of those valves flow a whole lot more.

28. Yea I know Pete, I'm still working on it, and the 425 Potvin grind, gotta take it a little easy for a while on the ol pocketbook ifn you know what I mean, enjoyed yakkin at ya the other day and thanks for the info I will definatly get back to you!

29. Looks great Carl. Don't slow down, May will be here sooner than you think.

30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Fun talking with you at Eagle...Keep up the good work, the car is looking great! Looking forward to hearing the new engine.