Register now to get rid of these ads!

flat door panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RussK, Jun 29, 2013.

1. RussK

RussK
    from Atlanta Ga

Did a search and cant find any info on covering flat door panels
    I'm redoing my door panels very soon on my 46 cadi and need advice on the right way of doing them. the backing is in good shape.
    any recommendations on glue and material to use etc..
    Its not a show car just a driver ,I'm also broke so I got to stay within budget
    I'm not going stock but do want something to look period correct

2. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

3M spray adhesive worked good for my drivers.

3. carkiller

carkiller

I like the locktight adhessive,

4. Spray adhesive is going to be the cheapest way of covering the door panel,,remember to spray the panel and the material to make it permanent,,spraying just one surface will be temporary. HRP

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

6. The only aerosol spray adhesive that I have been told by countless upholsters that even has a chance of sticking is the 3M 90 and most are even hesitant to suggest that for doors and headliners as the heat these panels see causes the glue to let go. Most seem to recommend Wellwood Landau Top and Trim adhesive as the best.

7. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

I'm about to do this again myself. Going to be using pleated vinyl that comes on a roll. It's not expensive, it already has a foam back and is quick and easy to do. Won't win any shows but will look nice enough, better than it was.

Glue i'd use 3m and spray both sides as mentioned.

Good luck

8. Another idea: On long doors, the fabric on the panels will still try to balloon. I've put chrome trim strips along the (approximate) center, for the style AND to keep the fabric from ballooning. Would also make a natural for color/fabric (vinyl) change.

Just a thought.

Cosmo

9. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Use this type of glue and that spray gun is a harbor freight 30 dollar gun.(yes works perfect for this). Air pressure max at 60psi .stay away from spray cans in my opinion. if you have any more questions pm me
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

10. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

The glue was 30$ . The foam in the article above is 1/4" closed cell foam. You can draw lines in on that and then razor blade them out, slight bevel, or use 80 grit sand paper .but this helps give panels character with out needing to need a sewing machine.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's the correct stuff to use, and probably cheaper than 3M spray adhesive. I used 3M on the flat door panels in my Austin, and a year later it was letting go. When I drive down the freeway the material blows up like a balloon from air entering the door.
    I'm going to pull the panels and load the Weldwood contact cement in my spray gun and redo them.

12. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

a tip is to spray the part your adhering to first , then the material. Let them both tack up first. To the point that you can put your hand on the glue and its not oozie on your hand but just lightly sticks to your hand. DO Half the panel at a time, makes the job easier to work with ,
    with that being said go from the center out.
    your spray patern should be around a 3 inch patern and not too wet , if you make it real wet it can tend to soak through certain fabircs, not so much on vinyls.

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Here goes,
    1. make your panels, allow room for fabric to wrap over.
    2. Use blind fasteners clips or plastic trees. Screws showing is no class.
    3. Use 1/8" or 1/4" foam with a backing on it. New style headliner material is a good source.
    4. Stretch foam out on a plywood sheet oversized. Attach to plywood with a few staples. Make sure it is wrinkle free.
    5.Use the glue of choice and lay panel into it. Cut to fit panel.
    6.You should be wrinkle free, If not fix with a roller, your wife's baking one will work if you do not get caught
    7. Repeat steps 4-6 on the fabric or whatever the facing material is. Allow a 1" overlap for gluing
    8. If you are using wood or cardboard panels glue a plastic bib over the back to protect it from water.
    9. Install and admire you work.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  14. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

very good explanation 39 Ford

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker