Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flared Holes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by speedy pete, Aug 20, 2014.

1. speedy pete

speedy pete

First time for me to flare holes with a flare die. It went a lot easier than I thought. Did it in-place on the body as the prior owner had welded the visor in place.

Attached Files:

2. I've seen it done on a number of cars and it looks cool. That being said, doesn't it defeat the purpose of having a visor in the first place ? :cool:

3. speedy pete

speedy pete

I have been told it adds strength and at higher speeds less buffeting. This is my first AV-8 project so others may know for sure. It is the traditional hot rod look I want.

4. Bugguts

Bugguts

I like it. Nice!

5. DIXON

DIXON

Nicely done!!! I just did mine too "no dimple die though" , can't see through the holes because the header piece is in the way but at least I know it won't fly off at the drags haha!
    Looks great man! Cheers!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. BarryA

BarryA

Looks good Pete!
    No idea what your die setup looks like, but would like to offer that it is quite possible to achieve this without the need for (expensive) male and female dies in every size.
    By cutting or punching the hole, placing over a tool of the desired size (old bearing shells work great, but a piece of tubing with the inner edge relieved slightly works too) and chasing with a tapered tool (ball-pein hammer for small holes, plastic or wooden mallet for larger ones) can give great results - setting up the alignment takes a little care though. Pic below shows the back side of one (here the chasing tool went quite deep hence the more rounded flare, but straighter sides can also be achieved)
    I have even used this approach on 3mm material for chassis.
    Can't do it on the car though! And it does take some practice beforehand....

Attached Files:

7. Grudge

Grudge

The function of the visor is limited to begin with on a chopped cab (or body), so I'm in the "visors look cool" camp. I'm no expert on traditional or not, but I'd guess flared holes NOT. Nevertheless, my contribution:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408603063.855205.jpg

Aaron

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Lad_RoadDevils

Lad_RoadDevils

[​IMG]
    Mine and a friends...

9. brady1929

brady1929

Looks great. In case someone is looking for the dies, Mittler Brothers sells them. And no I don't have any affiliation with them.

10. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

looks good guys.