Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flared Holes ,the easy way !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KUZTOM, Mar 2, 2010.

1. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

Really nice work. Very impressive.

2. Oh man, you're just showing off! Great job

3. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Check back tonight ,Ive done some other bits that have used the same tool........;)
    Just getting every thing in some sort of order as to show how easy it really is .

Thanks Steve

4. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

I had a Hot Rodder call me today after seeing this thread and following our build on the New Zealand Hot-Rod Mag Forum http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2610

Hes doing a project along the same lines , wanted the 'hole' look, but couldnt get anyone to punch flared holes ,so his project was on hold until he saved up for the exspensive tools to complete the job, I got him to call in this afternoon ,gave him a run down on how easy it is ,got him to flare some holes, he couldnt believe how easy it was ,and know has gone home to complete his project ,and put the money he saved for the tools towards other stuff, heres what we done...

When we built this 'A' , we wanted the channelled look ,so built these 'skirts' that mount below the body & cover the rails, so I thought I would show Chris how I done the front section inside that green circle, as the body was narrowed there was a little bit more work.

[​IMG]

First we cut the shape we wanted out ,drilled the hole in the correct location ,folded it at 90 degrees in my small folder , then the 'tool' I made came into use...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

As you can see We not only used the 'Flaring Tool' for the hole ,but to flare the edges, where the arrows are pointing ......

[​IMG]

Just some more shots of how it came out..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I gave it a quick shot of some paint (ugly colour :p) I had here just to show how it came up ,this was without to much clean up and pretty much straight off the tool, this from start to finish only took 30 minutes,Chris was really supprised at how simple & quick something like this was done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Very cool tech article.....yet so simple. Excellent.

7. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

So,as you can see that tool has many other use's , eg we got inboard lever action shocks ,so made this cover up that is flared around the out side edge ,plus reversed flare'd where the arm comes through, as per the arrow......

[​IMG]

This panel sits below the deck and the above cover...

[​IMG]

8. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

This pic here is from the inside of the 'skirt' below the body line , again both the bottom and top fold (approx 6mm) was done by the flare'n Tool, then just hammer'd & dolly'd up;
    The amount of material you want folded is determined by how much of a cut you do in the Flare'n Tool.
    My folder is only about 600mm ,so any thing over that I have to use that tool , plus also my folder is not the best for folding 5 or 6mm folds as it tends to move the material around a bit.

[​IMG]

9. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

I have been thinking , there must be a Hamb'r who could manufacture these 'flaring tools' and market them......???????

What do you guys think, I understand its a tool that may not retail for much , but the design etc is all there,just needs to be made from good material..

Cheers KUZTOM

10. JaBoney

JaBoney

Hey real super tech article. Do think a little heat from a propane torch would soften the sheet metal a bit and help to stretch it to avoid kinks?

I gotta make me some flares now!

11. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Thanks , I think the thing is to not rush,take small bites at a time ,only move the width of the tool per each movement,when you get use to it,a nice flare can be completed in two goes.
    I cant really see heat being a help, but hey , try it anyway ,let me know how you get on.

Steve.

12. too kool, where do we vote , where do we vote , where do we vote!

13. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Cheers Rod ;) , I think Ryan is doing something after Wednesday.

PS , I may be coming up your way for a wedding soon ?

Cheers Steve

14. Damn you Steve! Now I gotta build one of them thingies and make me some holes! You coming up to Beach Hop?

15. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Give it a go ! or send ya stuff down ,I will do them for 'nuffin' for a fellow Model A owner ;)

I was , but I cant go now , bit pissed off really , Craig ,Rols & Mal Hurrell still going.
    Check back soon ,got some more stuff to post up here that im working on now.......

Steve

16. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Just to finish off this 'tech week' thread , I should show some other bits & odd ends that may help someone, The Hood outer skin was rolled around my mig bottle , them made the bracing and cross panels c/w with flared holes,all the bracing channel material is from Suzuki M/C crates (made USA :D) ,just used a 'Step-Drill' for all the holes.
    This hood only cost about 10 bucks ,but did take some time.
    Got my mate to run the swages down the sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

As our Chassis hasnt been 'boxed' , ( Only running 4-Banger) , we made up some flared panels to fill in the gaps , no one can see them really , but they were easy to make .......

[​IMG]

18. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

This next tool is older than Noah's Ark , its called a 'CROX' , used in the plumbing game for doing the swages in copper pipe etc , same as on a radiator inlet & outlet spout.
    My Grandad was a plumber ,thats how I ended up with it.
    I have used it on many parts to put a small @ 7-8 mm swage just off the edge of different panels ,its limited in it use's but its a cool ol tool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Some shots of where we used the 'Crox' etc......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Plus ,swage's on panel next to it ,done with the 'crox' ,........guna have to get a proper swager one day .

[​IMG]

20. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

We made this 'Moon' style tank from two end caps of unknown origin ,made the rolled center bit by rolling around the mig bottle again, wanted the straps to have holes in them but still be strong, again my folder was to short to fold a 5 mm lip the length of the strap ,so again used the 'flare'n Tool' to fold both sides under ,them hammer down flat ,then drill the holes with a step- drill.
    [​IMG]

Also ,with the flange around the inlet , this was cut out then 'flare'd' over ,screwed into the tank, screw holes filled over to look like riverts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  21. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

This panel is between the gas tank and the rear of the body.

[​IMG]

These are the first flared hole panels we did, I really like this part .

[​IMG]

22. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Thanks to all who have had a look & commented ,hope it helps someone out , dont get to 'bogged' down cause ya havent the tool for the job,theres always around things ,just got to sit back think about it ,get on the HAMB & learn....Im only a broken down Area Manager in the AG industry. :eek:
    Have a Go !

And I just got to say thanks to James D for this, he done in the weeken.;)

[​IMG]

and for pro1street for 'placing the Roadster on the salt !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Great idea, great tool, and the car is really cool! Hands down-ya got my vote! Just picked up a knock out cutter set that goes up to 4". Gonna punch (& flare!) some holes now!:cool:

24. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Thanks , hey whats a knock down cutter ? ,im sorta thinking something along the lines of one of those ol leather punch type things :confused:,but Ill be wrong , hahah.
    Post some pics when ya done a flare for us .;)

25. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

26. It's a round punch and die set for putting holes in electrical panels. Trade sizes 1/2" all the way up to 4". Made by a company called "Greenlee". Not running a bumper on the front of my '57, so I'll punch some holes in the splash apron.

27. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

ARR, the same thing I think they use in S/S sinks here to punch the drain hole , called a chassis punch .
    Once you do the holes ,please post some pics ;)

28. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

29. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

You guys are just HOLE CRAZY!! Nice job. Great "How To" thread. Got all those tools except for that handy-dandy one you fabricated, but I will be going back to the beginning of your post for details. Now all I need is a project to try it out on. (Look out 47 dodge pickup)

30. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Wow!
    What a cool ride!

That build up shows that you don`t need kinmont brakes and Halibrand QCs to have
    cool Hot Rod.

Just imagination and talent