Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flaming River Steering Boxes - Junk???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modifieddriver, Sep 25, 2006.

1. How many folks are using and have had quality control issues with Flaming River's remake of a Vega Saginaw steering box?

One of my buddies is on his second Flaming River box.

The first box had all kinds of play in it. Sent it back and was rebuilt. Came back and was set-up so tight the steering wheel wouldn't return after ya'd make a turn.

Tech guy (Moron) at Flaming River told my buddy the box is supposed to be tight :eek: :eek: .

They sent mim another new box. It lasted less than 2,000 miles and lost all it's adjustment. So much so, that ya' can't adjust the play out. He needs another one.

Another buddy builds hot rods for a living. Just got done doing a NICE '32 Sedan that showed up in the mags. It's Flaming River Vega box took a dump too.

One of the most important parts of the car, ya' buy what ya' think is the best and it turns out to be junk.

They're both gonna' replace'm with a rebuilt original Vega Saginaw.

I remember being at the PRI Show a few years ago and talking to a steering box vendor rep. He told me the best box to go with was a rebuilt Vega. Must be he had some insider information :cool: .

I'm using original Saginaw Vega boxes in a couple of my cars and have had no problems.

How about user reports on the Mullins and other Vega boxes.

What's made in the USA and what's being made offshore (China :mad: ).

2. i had one go to hell on me in a `32 ford . it got replaced by them at no charge

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I got one on my Hemi A....perfect
    And I have one on my 32 hemi pick-up....but it aint on the road yet

I have no complaints.

4. what fenders

what fenders

I got one that someone forgot to remove the made in argentina sticker from flaming river. no shit there not made here, kinda explanes the premature failure. southern rods are from asia you can tell by the cardboard it come's in. i can't say were the borgeson/mullins are made.the stock vega box is the way to go if you can find one.ive never seen a worn out gm box yet. latter dave

5. boozoo

boozoo

I've heard of a few people having problems with them here and there... but like most products, I also hear people raving about them.

Can't say I have any personal experience with them though...

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I knew there was a reason to buy grungy, greasy used Vega boxes at swap meets. I've never had a problem with one of them.

7. 37 BILL

37 BILL
    from Bristol CT

Cant speak for them...buttt...Here at Borgeson/Mullins we only sell reman
    GM 140 (vega) boxes...little more money but they meet our specs..BC

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I had problems with several Flaming River boxes, loose and leaky. I started using what I think is made in Canada Vega replacement and have had no problems.

9. Shane T.

Shane T.

I can promise you our vega boxes aren't from China, Taiwan, Singapore, Etc... They are a quality piece even if they aren't made in the USA. And as far as the cardboard it comes from Greer S.C. facility.

10. Shane T.

Shane T.

P.S. My Flaming River vega box has given no problems.
    Shane T.

11. borgeson mullins is the only way to go i have never had a problem out of any of there boxes and have already returned 2 flaming river boxes from my shop installing them and 3 on customer returns from purchasing them through me all 5 had simular problems as above. if that tells you anything i will say it again mullins/borgeson is the way to go.

12. squirrel

squirrel

I guess you've never seen one that ran without lube for a few years....it happens

13. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I had my eye on the quick-ratio aluminum FR boxes, but I can't find those on their site now. Did those get discontinued?

And, are there any other options for quick-ratio Vega boxes, either in iron or aluminum?

14. brandon

brandon

i have had flaming rivers boxes on 2 model a's and my last anglia....no problems out of any of them .....now my buddy had one on his 32 roadster truck....it wouldn't return to center .....was always moving around....and the guy from fr told him that was the way it was made.....he's got a cheap copy on his 32 3 window now.....seems alright ....but was shipped without grease...my current a project has one of those ultra rare......vega hd boxes....lol my question on the vega box.....did a vega ever end up with more than 40k on it.....???? brandon

15. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

If you're having problems with your steering box, and would like a second opinion, or want a rebuild from, IMO, the best in the biz, call up PSC Motorsports and talk to Tom or Karl.

Their big push is for 4x4's and trucks, but they have a ton of experience in car boxes, and custom racing stuff too. They're reasonably priced, and the customer service is top notch.

www.pscmotorsports.com
    817-270-0102

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I bought a New vega box off Ebay from a rod shop...Not sure if it's a Flaming River....but it was $100 cheaper and works GREAT!

17. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

I bought a brand new Flaming River vega box from speedway.

It has been on the road since April.

It leaks.

18. I put 38,000 miles on my Flaming River box before it got a little loose,
    1/2 a turn on the adjuster and it's just like new again.

19. CruZer

CruZer

I have one on my 34 Ford and it's worked fine for 8 years.

20. cadzilla

cadzilla

why buy a box from them when you can rebuild a box for cheaper. dont have to go through this crap....

21. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

My thoughts exactly................

22. Well, is there a big secret here :eek: ??

If they aren't made in Asia, then that leaves Mexico or South America, 'cause you sure as hell aren't gettin'em made in the USA ;) .

If ya' were, you'd brag about it :) .

23. My Flaming river box is tight and seems to be OK. Except tor the lube that is coming out of the crew in front cover. Not much. Just ooze.

My first box was an original GM. I rebuit it with new seals but it leaked anyway. I wanted to replace the bushing but could not find a source.

So I went FR.

I'm going to use a reversed Vega box in my Model T 2 door sedan project. Don't know if a FR can be reversed. So I am looking for a genuine GM to fiddle with again.

24. I guess new doesn't mean it's better than old.:confused: :confused:

I want to keep this near the top for awhile.

25. tomslik

tomslik

same place they get their a/c units?

26. I've had my Flaming River equipped '32 Hiboy on the road since 2004.
    Only 12,000 miles on it and the box is already loose and no longer turns smoothly. Can't get it to adjust out either. It feels like you're turning against a detent or something. (I think the needle bearings are junk) I called FR and their tech "Russ" told me I could take it off and send it to them (at my expense), they would repair it (at my expense), and sent it back to me (at my expense). Oh, and "Russ" also said that they would give me the option(?) to "upgrade" to a new box (at my expense) if repairs were going to cost too much. I told him they should advertise the fact that their stuff is only intended to be used on "trailer queens" and not meant to be used on a car that will be operated on public roads.
    "30% stronger than stock"....MY ASS!:mad:

You would think they would be concerned from a product liability perspective.

What happened to the "good old days" when you could find and install a steering box from a junkyard car (with god knows how many miles on it) and it would actually work and last as long as you had the car.

Well, ...I'm off to the salvage yard.

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I haven't seen a lot of Vegas in the junk yards lately, and knowing that GM didn't like to tool up specific parts to only fit one body, what else can you find the "vega" box in?
    -Brad

28. Shane T.

Shane T.

Damn bit testy over a box huh? Sell some of your spare parts and buy a new one. Just kidding. You coming to see us at Charlotte g@@dguys? You need to come by and see Tom's new 57 Top Sportsman Drag car. Later.
    Shane T.

29. Shane T.

Shane T.

And as for our air units they are made right here in the USA. If you want to know just ask.

30. tomslik

tomslik

"And as for our air units they are made right here in the USA. If you want to know just ask."

well, THAT shows that "made in USA" doesn't mean shit as far as quality (or customer service)

i have NO problem with you, but your boss needs some lessons in customer service....

yeah, i HAD a southern air unit, biggest piece of shit i ever bought.
    think i'm the only one?
    guess again....