Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flames - Did I get it right? TRUTHFULLY!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xlr8er, Aug 16, 2011.

1. xlr8er

xlr8er

Hi All,

We're building a Model A hot rod and I wanted flames on it. I read in another thread that flames are sometimes difficult because of so many variables (style, shape, color). That got me to thinking.... Did I get it right?

We tried several different designs but ended up with what you see here. The flames end before the door edge meets the rear quarter panel because there is no door jam on an A and a 'step' would be created if they extended farther back on the car.

So here's the question. TRUTHFULLY - What do you think? I'm a big boy now. I can take rejection... I'm sure if I ask for 10 opinions, I'll get 10 different answers. That's OK!! I'm pretty sure that's why there's red and green in this world.

Thanks for your opinions!!

Attached Files:

2. 37cevy4dr

37cevy4dr
    from Louisiana

I think they look great! I love the traditional "graphic" flames. The only thing I would have changed is to have the tips cross over each other, just my opinion and like noses everyone has one. Really like the shading good job.

3. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

when i was 16 (1958) i would have thought you nailed them, 53 years later i still like your flames, except i personally no longer like them on any before '49.

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Look good...flames are a very subjective thing...much like the color of the car (I hate blak and red, BTW), but it's your car so do your thing...

The flames you have look good on the car...ya dunn good...!!!

R-

5. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

They look great on your car, I'd say they look pretty damn good!
    :)

6. Crossing over is a no-no as far as flames go. I prefer single color flames,but it doesn't look bad.

7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Looks good... and they are how you like em... I like 2 over style but yours turned out real good and as long as you like it thats all that matters...

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's how I like them. I like a gradual color fade. I hate when I see them done and the colors have a definate border to them. As stated previous, having them cross over would have been a bonus, but they still look sweet the way they are. Two thumbs up!

9. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

they look great to me!! :D

10. brad2v

brad2v

I'll jump on the positive comment bandwagon. I think they look fantastic.

11. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Like 'em too, nice color fade, at least from THIS distance...

12. cederholm

cederholm

I like them! ...and a great looking car in general.

13. I'll give it a thumbs up too. You dont have much room to work with, so for the space provided....you did really good.

14. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

I think that look great!

15. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

it's been a looong time since I've seen flames that I like on any type of hot rod. These really are nice. perfectly understated.

16. mmmm I think you need some practice.... I can supply some donor cars... when can I bring my 39 and 35 over ?

very nice job

17. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'm going to split hairs here, only because you asked for it. If I were walking by your car I'd think "Hey, nice flames". Overall on a scale of 1-10, I'd give your flames about a 7.0. Achieving above a 9 is nearly impossible, as far as I'm concerned. Very few cars have flawless flames. I think your flames add to the vehicle, versus some awful flame jobs that take away from the vehicle. I might like them a little better if the flames transition from yellow-orange-red (without blue) and were pinstriped in blue. The shape is pretty good, thought I noticed the top is a little different than the bottom two because it's longer and narrower. I might have tried to get five flames in the same space you put three. I don't know if there's a "Perfect Flames Theory" thread on HAMB, but I could go on and on about what I think makes some flames better than others. Perhaps it's because I have a strong engineering and art background. Overall, your flames are a job well done.

18. Hey,buddy.... Get to the end of the line! ;)

They look great!

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yup, you got 'em right!

20. Jimm56

Jimm56

Nicely done. Personally I would have had a couple of tips cross and the lowest tier go on a little longer, with the top row a little shorter, so the tips create a sort of diagonal line.
    The important thing is that YOU like them and are happy with them.

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yeah.....dig it.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'd say you did pretty well. You obviously like that style of flame on a hot rod so if we're judging you on how well you achieved that style I'd say you did pretty good.

I never thought I would like "new style" licks on a hot rod as most of the time it comes off a bit street roddy but I have been drawn into this one on more then one occasion and I'd say you're in the same league. Well done!

[​IMG]

23. kiwi55

kiwi55

24. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

25. 117harv

117harv

I tend to like them longer on the bottom and shorter as they go up, also thin like you did them.

The flames and car look great, nice job...the bottom one on the other side is a little longer though:eek::D

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I've done a few flame jobs, though it has been years.

I don't like most flame jobs I see at shows.

I do like yours. Very nice, not too timid and not too over-the-top, interesting and uncommon color fade. Just right.

27. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

The shape and color fading is spot on. I personally don't like the blue tips but that is just me being picky. Nice job!!!

28. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i think you did just fine.

29. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Oh oh, I'm in trouble with Bad Bob for the overlap I do.
    But from another fan of flames, I like them.

30. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Well son, if ya study real hard and work at it and practice long hours and eat all your veggies and clean up your room and do what your Mother tells you, you might make something of yourself one day.
    Other than that,,,,DAYUM FINE JOB.