Register now to get rid of these ads!

flame throwers.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by premium, Oct 25, 2006.

1. premium

premium
    from Goergia

who in the HAMB has em on thier rides and how did you go about it (buy or build) and what are the details on yours. im building mine this week and installing this weekend..also what gives you the best results(pipe size plug placement all that ) ....oh yeah an if ya got em lets see some pics. thanx. w.

2. Bugman

Bugman

I had'em on my '55(well, i still do, but they're disconnected, got in to much trouble with'em). Made my own ignition box using a coil, modified VW distributer, and a fan motor to spin it(kinda like an entire ignition system in a box).

3. Brickster

Brickster

4. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

premium-- click the search icon towards the top of this page and put in the term 'flame thrower' or something along that lines. it'll produce a whole bunch of info that's been discussed over time here on the hamb.

good luck,

-scott noteboom

5. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

that was some crazy sounding shit

6. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

I've known guys to take an entire distributor, connect it to a fan blower motor to spin it and mount the whole monstrosity up under the car with hose clamps. What the hell, if you really want to get something done, you will one way or another.

In true hotrod form, I stripped that down to the bare necessities and just tacked a points baseplate to a power window regulator... added a ballast resistor and then a coil for each side. Poof!

The whole intention is to repeatedly collapse the field in the coil to get a spark. All you need is <$4 in parts from RadioShack to rapidly switch on-and-off and you could sell kits for $99. Nothing wrong with buying a kit for people who don't have the where-with-all to do the math or construction. Hell I've heard some people even build their whole dagum car from a kit. Can you imagine that?! :eek:

I started with "traditional" choke-and-kill. Ran that until I literally pushed a c-rod through the block, just below the fuel pump mount. I took a picture of the hole it made for posterity.

Since my exhaust exits through 5" dia on each side, L & R can be controlled individually. This pic is from the end of the driveway when we first got her running.

[​IMG]

Once I had some clown try to pass me & the wife in town on the right. Now if I said something happened to cause him to jam on his brakes so hard it'd bring tears to your eyes, well that might lead you to believe I actually broke or something.

Then there's the time we set the neighbors yard on fire...

Click on the image below to DL a short video clip:
    [​IMG]

7. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

Cant you just run a jumper wire from your coil to a coil near the exhaust and plug a spark plug in the exhaust pipe then retard the ignition with one of those fancy ignition control boxes. I know a guy who did that on his seventies truck. It worked most of the time but you didn't have to spray lighter fluid out the exhaust to make it work

8. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

ok ready.... spark plug, in 3 inch or bigger tips, about 2 inches in. pos wire from battery(starter pole) to coil(model T, or regular) coil to plugs. coil negative to fast turn signal relay(two pole), relay to switch, to ground. pull the choke(manual obviously), and run it rich.

only bad part is that it washes down yer cylinders, so you cant do it alot. itll wear your rings. heres one of mine at idle straight 6.
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=623303536

9. farmer_joe620

farmer_joe620

on my setup im using a wiper motor, hei distributor and 3 plugs that are about a foot into the tail pipe. wired it up so the ditributor has power and the motor turns at the same time. mounted it all to a chunk of a 2x4 i found in the garage. the 3 plugs are gapped huge and it works well. doesnt quite have the volume of a 6 or 8 cylinder but itll get your attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6oU41-PAAc

Attached Files:

10. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

11. hotroder69

hotroder69

I have a Autoloc system, the plugs fire but no fire???

12. Tin Can

Tin Can

I just run a set of model T coils. Power wire to a switch, ground it, and run a wire to the tip. i was told by some guys that have done this for a while that Honda plugs work the best because they have a hotter burn. if you run a set of model to coils thay have the cool buzzing sound and you do not need a distributer and all of that jaz because the points are built into the top of them. Simple and cheap. You can usually pick up a set of coils for 10-15 bucks at a swap

13. premium

premium
    from Goergia

awesome, deffinatly dont want my rods chunkn through my engine. ill be finishing mine upt today or tomorow and installing this weekend. thanx for the pics and video.

14. synthsis

synthsis

I'm about $30 into mine. a bunch of misc parts from the 'Shack, two 18" long pieces of 2" ID exhuast pipe, some bungs, plugs, and two coils. It should be done tonight or tomorrow.

15. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Man, you gotta be carefull shootin fire. It's like a drug, the more you get into it, the more you have to do it. Have met some really nice and interesting people shootin flames. It's almost like a brotherhood. I was taught years ago by who, at that time, were the only ones in our area shootin fire. I originally used old model T coils, but have since went with an electric motor and an HEI. I like the T coils best though because of the buzzing before you start to shoot. We at one time years ago experimented with plug placement but it really didn't seem to make much of a difference. I've shot for over 15 years without any problems, but I've also changed oil a lot.

16. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Thats one of those things I can live without the repairs.

17. HeyMang

HeyMang

A guy I knew ran a second high pressure fuel pump straight into the exhaust right at his plugs (about foot back from end of pipes). No kill for the ignition: just had to warm up the car and pipes to get the flames to go. Sucker popped off flames 20' long. He eventually ran propane with his gas too, but I believe he caught his trunk on fire. He was blowing 30'+ flames. Not really cool, having all that gas and propane there. Would be a shame to blow up a nice '60 starliner like that.

he torched a new mercedes that was tailgating us on the 15 to vegas. that guy never creeped up on us the rest of the 100+ miles to go.

18. hotroder69

hotroder69

I welded Fallers on my exhaust pipes and drilled holes in the pipe. Do I need to get the gap into the exhaust pipe? Mine are inside the threaded part of the spark plug fallers.

19. ALOW1

ALOW1

Yes you need the plugs gap to be inside the pipe.........

20. Tdreamer

Tdreamer

that is the most bad ass idleing clip i have seen that is freekin sweet.
    ||
    ||
    ||
    \/ ;)

21. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

92lbs fuel injectors and a spare electric fuel pump added to the existing flamethrower system

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Damn, that makes my flamethrowers look like a Bic lighter in a wind storm...

flamethrowers.jpg

23. premium

premium
    from Goergia

that caddie is the shit!!.. had to ored my trasistors today. dontknow when theyll be in. cant wait got my newish exhuast all dun up. just waitn on the rest of this crap. cant wait.

24. premium

premium
    from Goergia

25. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

There are a bunch of other flame posts here on the HAMB, but just to err on the safe side I thought I'd mention this again...
    If you're injecting gas into your setup, it's probably a good idea to use a check valve too.

Keeps the flow going one way and the lit gas from backtracking.

My 2 cents.

26. hotroder69

hotroder69

That is a great bit of advise, I would of thought of that.

thanks

27. hotroder69

hotroder69

Sorry I wouldn't of thought of that.

thanks again

28. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

29. 21tat

21tat

Very cool. Thanks.