Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Flake on my roof?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52HardTop, May 3, 2015.

1. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hello all, I've been wanting to make some changes to my car for a while. I can notice and appreciate a great looking car that screams personality. I just don't seem to have the vision. Or maybe it's the lack of testicular fortitude to do what many of you seem to do so effortlessly. I do have wishes of what I would like to do. But first I would love to ask the experts what they think. One thing I am wanting to do is flake the roof. It now has an off white which is an original shade. The body of the car will keep the same color. Any suggestions as to colors in the flake? Is it a gold along with something else? Anyone have a similar thing done to their roof? I'm thinking the roof first and the rest might just fall into place? I just know she wants to look more kustom. Thanks much guys. Dom
    trampstamp.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Curious to hear from those that know, if the pinstriping you have will be appropriate with a flaked roof?
    Nice '52 btw, I like it.

3. lowlinc

lowlinc

Why wouldn't the pinstriping be appropriate with a flaked roof?

I'd say go with a Vanilla color and gold or bronze flake, nice and subtle.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

In response to 4speedwagon: "Appropriate pinstriping:eek: Ohhhhhhhhh, the humanity!"
    52 HT, you have nice car, love the color and I think white metal flake would look nice.

Last edited: May 3, 2015

5. Drive'em

Drive'em

I personally like the car just the way it is. BUT... if you can't live without flake I agree with lowlinc. Really nice car!

6. Slopok

Slopok

Try to find some samples and go from there. I think the striping works.

7. What about a nice gold with a ton of pearl in it, or a ice pearly white,,.way classier then a bunch of flake on that car

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Agree with tiki...go more subtle, with pearls or ice pearls, than an "in your face" flake job. Goes better with the color, and attitude of your car as it sits.

9. 2935ford

2935ford

Listen.....it's sounding like a big hassle to go through.....just sell the car to me and alleviate all your concerns! :)

Nice car.......I agree, that same top color in flake would be really sharp.

10. Great looking BelAir just as it sits.

40fordtudor and slowmotion like this.
  11. Probably can't see the flake, but I did the top of this Mopar in a lighter blue flake and it looked pretty decent.
    64plym.jpg

slowmotion likes this.
  12. Wasn't trying to be an ass, just tagging in to see if it'd clash. Would choffs Mopar look right with the same pinstripes as the 52? Looks good with the flake.

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

It does look really good as is. Classic color combo for the era, and those Belair's always are a favorite. I'm usually of the less is more camp. But I'm gonna do a 180 here, if you're gonna change it. Big ole bass boat gold flake roof, and a set of Supremes, bam! :D

14. Damn...cool to know a guy who's opinions I value on here feels the same as me...thanks for agreeing with me.....no flake!

loudbang likes this.
  15. If I had a flake on my roof I would pull him off and beat him like he owed me money. LOL

As has been suggested I would go with a pearl, nothing weird like a frog eye pearl just a basic pearl something frosty.

40fordtudor likes this.
  16. Muttley

Muttley

That's a great looking car as is. If you do ultimately decide to flake the roof you would also, IMO, need to change out the wheels & tires. A flaked roof with those wheels, caps & WWW's is a mish-mash of eras.

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Mutt's right.

18. Whats the difference between Pearl and Ice Pearl??

19. Ice pearl would be like a fog eye pearl or a murano pearl. Well not like them but it is a type of pearl, or a special effect perhaps is the proper way to describe it. I would have to guess but my guess is that it gives a sort of a frosty result just judging by the name.

20. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Selsun Blue always worked on my flaky roof.

But seriously, as said before, if you must do something, go with some nice pearl. That is a stunning car, and a subtle change would be the best. Please listen to the wise men that have already spoken above .

21. Boatmark

Boatmark

Beautiful car.
    A couple of random thoughts, in no particular order.

- I like the subtle look, and I like this car. If it were mine I might add a bit of very tasteful pinstriping to the roof in a color complimentary to the brown lower color. Then call it done.

- I agree with Mutt. If the roof is flaked it changes the era and vibe of the car, and then things like the wheels and tires are off.

- A compromise idea would be to add some tasteful scallops or outlining design to the roof in flake. Maybe a gold, or even a very dark green. Have the hint of flake attitude, rather than a slap in the face full flake roof. Kind of being sneaky about it.

22. It's really, really sanitary, just the way it sits. Everything works together well. I don't think you can improve on your color combination. Don't rush into this. Do this: Step away from your car at the local cruise and listen to people's comments, with out their knowing that it's your car. I bet nobody says, "Y'know, that Chevy needs more flash and bling." It's a nice mild custom and you should post a pic of it in the Mild custom thread on here...
    Just my 2¢, adjusted for inflation.

23. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Gentlemen, I thank you all for your input. Now you see why I ask the experts. I never, ever considered a Pearl! But, I love that idea. To be quite honest, my wife Jeanne didn't like the flake. I know she'll love the Pearl. As a matter of fact, the 51 convertible in my avatar has a Caddy Pearl White on the dash and inside garnish moldings. It is a nice subtle look. Tiki, I'm usually a conservative kind of guy. Which makes the Pearl something I wouldn't be afraid to do. Why didn't I think of that? Hah! Thanks again all you guys. Jeanne thanks you too!!

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.