Register now to get rid of these ads!

FJ40 Steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jmountainjr, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I was in the planning stage of thinking about the exact steering box for my side steering, I thought I wanted a reversed GM 525. The typical F1 / F100 box would not work due to how I mounted my hairpins. Some Ross boxes might have worked, but parts can be an issue. My frame has a pinch at the cowl, so there are a few angles going on and despite several attempts I never came up with a mount for the 525 with which I was happy with its looks. There are several very old threads here that mention the'73-'84 FJ40 box, so I did some looking around and decided to try one. It's a rugged box, has a traditional look to it, and is pretty available. The input is 11/16 - 36 spline which is available. The pitman arm uses an adjustable draglink end which plays into the traditional look. The pitman arm does require some rosebud and bending work. The draglink end has 17x1.5mm threads which are in the same range as the 5/8 and 11/16 threads typically used. I buy 7/8x.188 wall DOM so I have to drill before tapping anyway so the 17mm thread was no real issue. It did take some looking to get a 17x1.5mm jam nut until I realized that many alternator pulley nuts are that thread. I used 1 piece of 1" plate to make the plate for the box to thread to and that plate is mounted on a bracket that slips over the frame. I'm not claiming it's traditional, but most will never know.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I used a mid 70's Toyota Land Cruiser box on the Peter Beater. It's like a super heavy duty Model A box. Worked great and was inexpensive!

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting, It looks like another option for guys and might work great on T bucket style cars.

Even more interesting for an AD GM truck guy who is always dealinig with exhaust to steering clearance issues when installing V8 engines with stock steering. I'm wondering if that would solve some of that issue.

4. great steering box swap and awsome mount!. these boxes are strong and cheap! when your hunting one down just make sure it was off a SOLID axle model as the other style will not work.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Nice job, I love the mount, the whole deal looks clean and tidy.

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

That's a great looking setup Jim.

7. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Here is one I just did on a 46 Chevy truck. I made a new Pittman arm that duplicated the length and angle of the 46 Chevy one. image008.jpg image003.jpg

AHotRod likes this.