Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fixing others so called fixes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JohnCox, Jul 11, 2018.

1. JohnCox

JohnCox

[​IMG]So I picked up a 51 fleetline for me and my boys to work on together. I knew it needed work need to replace the master cylinder and am going to replace all the brake lines and am thinking of disc brakes and power booster (keep bouncing back and forth on firewall or under floor) but there are a lot things I have to make right[​IMG]
    It has a power steering but the rack hangs down lower than I like so I’m not sure what I’m going to do
    [​IMG]
    The rear springs are shot and will need replaced.

Has a 350/350 in it with a 10 bolt rear (it looks a little wider than the front and I can see tire rub on the inner fenders)
    But I don’t like the wheels on it and think I’m going with some steel so hopefully I can get some with enough backspace to tuck them back in so I can put the skirts back on.
    Then a lot of other little things steering column is out of a newer chevy I want one more period correct one, some rust in the floor boards and about 40 pounds of bondo in the nose the looks like crap. Looks like we have some busy weekends ahead of us, looking for more of a old school 50’s street rod

Been reading thread after thread and have a lot of ideas from here any tips are appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. JohnCox

JohnCox

And also with that homemade power steering that is full lock in the first picture so turning radius is going to suck. I may have to go back to manual steering not sure until I can get it out and drive it

3. chargin03

chargin03

Nice project.

4. Cool car just sold one. lots that you can do to make it better and not break the bank parts are cheap and easy to work on.

Any questions just ask

partsdawg and JohnCox like this.

5. My 51 fleetline. Lots of fixin' other peoples fixes on this one.

Attached Files:

JohnCox likes this.
  6. 62rebel

62rebel

Find a junked XJ6 and put the front and rear suspension in it, get power rack and pinion and 11" disc brakes and Chevy bolt pattern hubs in the deal

Unkl Ian and JohnCox like this.
  7. JohnCox

JohnCox

I have been reading up on that today the only problem is I just lost the garage and welder in the divorce so was looking to see if I would be able to just bolt in the front or not

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on new project - great body style - lots to redo and spend lots of time and money on - take your time to do it right - even if you consider going way out of the boundaries of traditional parts, remember that the exotic non-common suspensions will cost plenty to rebuild

JohnCox likes this.
  9. Most racks are intended for shorter steering arms.

10. Jack it up and see what other shit you find.

11. What is that hanging down below the rack ?

12. gene-koning

gene-koning

Looks like a crossmember (angle iron?) someone added to mount the rack to. I can see the flanges of the rack with the bolts going through them attaching the rack to that low hanging piece. Gene

JohnCox likes this.
  13. JohnCox

JohnCox

Gene is correct. Home made mount (not very pretty either) for the rack, it hangs way too low for my taste I can see me ripping it off on something.

14. 62rebel

62rebel

You -can- bolt in the Jag IFS/IRS with some planning and angle grinder work. Doesn't HAVE to be welded in, so you can go back to GM if you ever want to.

15. The jag cross member is a bolt in job
    Super easy check out chevytalk there 49-54 forum has a sticky on how to make up adapter plates and how to locate the cross member
    Did it to mine it’s awsome

Lots of companies make rear leaf spring kits also

I had a 261 inline in mine with a generator/ per steering combo unit out of a early 60’s impala so I can have pwr steering

I have two pumps I’d be willing to part with

16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If it was mine......

I would find a better car. For me a old stocker would be a better start. I would be afraid the " fixes" are the tip of the ice berg.
    These cars are not that rare or expensive. Before I got too far into it, I would evaluate it and really consider another car. Maybe I would use this one as parts for a better car.

Just to be clear...... this is what I would do.

JohnCox likes this.
  17. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Following... because I had a stocker once and I miss it!

18. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a 350 V8 already in there I'd be thinking there would be conflicts between the driver side exhaust and an under floor booster / master. I'm sure it can be done but there's not much room available due to the relatively narrow framerails and the wide 350 trans. A bulkhead master would solve this but brings its own issues! My '41 coupe (350/350 and under floor brakes) has a funky exhaust to get around this (previous owner stuff) and is on the list of fixes!
    Chris

JohnCox likes this.