Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fixing defects in single stage paint.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pancholasvegas, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pancholasvegas

pancholasvegas

Hey guys,
    Working on an old Honda motorcycle. This is my first time laying down my own paint and as far as novice work goes. It's not terrible but it can always be better. Anyway laid down the paint today, looks ok from a few feet away. Up close there are some issues. Looks like a bit of solvent pop on the sides of the gas tank, and there's a couple runs on the tank and a couple on the fenders. Can I wetsand this out and then polish? If not, can I wetsand it down and then shoot new single stage over top instead of repriming? Keep in mind this is single stage, not sure how the procedures would differ from BC/CC. The "pop" can definitely be felt by the hand. I would rather not sand everything down all over again as the rest of the tank other than the sides came out really well. Thanks.

2. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

If it is a solid color you can sand and polish. If it is a metallic color you cannot.

3. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

As far as re-coating is concerned, you can treat it as if it is clear coat if applying more color.

4. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Just don't make the same mistakes.

5. Solvent pops are actually hollow, caused by the fumes trying to escape, and not likely to sand out.
    I had a few recently on a clear coat, but was able to push them down with a pencil eraser while they were still soft.
    Sanded and buffed out okay.
    Your results may vary.