Register now to get rid of these ads!

fixing brass headlight buckets anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Im trying to fix a set of headlight buckets for a friends 38 chevy truck. They are a yellow metal (nonmagnetic) and im guessing they are brass. Im trying to fix some small edge cracking not much longer than 1/2 inch around the trim ring flange area. Any help or ideas??? Thanks in advance ETHER

2. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Assuming that they are going to be painted. You could either silver or soft solder brass or steel sheet metal strips on the inside of the crack. (Brass is available at most hobby shops):):D

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  3. They are to be painted.

4. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

You can weld it with a torch using brazing rod , just go easy

5. Jackt1932

Jackt1932

Take them to a music company that fixes brass instruments.

6. Silver solder is what I would use. Just paint the flux where you want the silver solder to flow. You could back up the repaired butt-joint with strips of thin brass if you wanted extra strength, but you may not even need to. Silver solder is way stronger than lead/tin solder, and almost as strong as the brass itself. The flux scrubs off under hot running water with a toothbrush when you're done.

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

If you have a tig artist around, consider silicon bronze rod. It's stronger and more workable than solder, easier than brazing, low heat, too.

8. I second taking them to a good instrument repair guy- they'll get a kick out of it and probably charge you very little for the change of pace.

If I remember correctly, you're in GA- if you're close to Lawrenceville you could go to Ken Stanton or there's a "Music and Arts" on 20 between 316 and 85 that's got a great repairman.