Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fixing an old 32 insert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irondoctor, Jan 11, 2009.

1. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

After some inspiration from NealinCA I decided to attempt fixing an old 32 insert I ended up with in a trade. The insert had no grill bars so I started with just the outer frame. First sheared some .500 strips of 20 gage. Then I broke them in half and smashed them almost closed enough they slide into the out frame. I have to make the two supports that hold the bars parallel and I have a crank hole coming.
    Will post some progress pix when I gain some head way on it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

very cool i work in the hvac trade and had thought of doing the same thing myself using our pexto barfolder to bend them in half , is that how you did it , great idea looks like i'll be making some up at work. if you come up with a good idea for the spreader bars please post it , i'm in the same boat as i have just the outer surround !

3. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

sweet ' that`s gonna be a cool bar bq grill

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You did know that those replacement bars are available from several sources in mild steel, as original, and polished or non-polished stainless steel, didn't you?
    Your help is great but for those without the equipment like that there is an alternative. 43 bars is the number. You can get the crankhole piece as a reproduction as well if you like 'em and it is missing.

Appreciate the illustrations.

5. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I was going to order the repo bars but I thought I would give making my own a shot. I did order a repo crank hole, hasn't shown up yet.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You did a great job.

7. von Dyck

von Dyck

The originals are 24ga, considerably thinner steel than 20ga.

8. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I was wondering about that. But I had a piece of 20 that was the right length so I went with it.
    Thanks for the info though. I should have asked before I started this project.

9. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

any updates on what you came up with for supports to hold the bars with ? i'm in the same boat