Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. I think this will finish the sides off well and allow the wood to move. IMG_1692.JPG

dwollam, TFoch, brEad and 6 others like this.
  2. brought the bed over to Charlie's to test fit it and get the measurements we need for the crossmember. and mounting braces. thumbnail-5.jpeg thumbnail-6.jpeg thumbnail-7.jpeg thumbnail-11.jpeg thumbnail-10.jpeg

3. starting to look like a truck thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail-8.jpeg thumbnail-1.jpeg thumbnail-2.jpeg thumbnail-3.jpeg

4. note Charlie's "new " wheels and tires.
    battery went dead in camera so sorry for shitty phone pics

dwollam, TFoch, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  5. FolksWaggin

FolksWaggin

[​IMG]
    Just ran some oak boards through the planer so Ted can build the floor of the pickup bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. FolksWaggin

FolksWaggin

[​IMG]

dwollam, loudbang, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mmmm...Bias Plys...;)

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Breathing Holes...them suckers gotta duck when the blades are coming at them eh! 6 legged Drill bits​

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    dwollam, brady1929, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  9. Great progress! Lookin' great!!

10. awesome thanks!!!!!

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a Handy Branch it's been did you count the rings...

12. I never did count the rings. I only have a few small pieces left. :cool:

loudbang, TFoch and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Truck and that Tree have known each other for years and neither knew they would meet by accident...were United in Repair by a Team of Craftsmen...some with funny names like Slacker...They Cruised off into the Wild Blue Yonder...with Charlie Hummin A Tune with a Smile a Mile Wide...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  14. FolksWaggin

FolksWaggin

Anytime!

tb33anda3rd, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Never ran a plainer, how many passes did it take to get them to finish thickness? Bob

16. FolksWaggin

FolksWaggin

These boards were all pretty close in thickness to each other, and the saw marks weren’t very deep, so I think it took me about 6 passes total—a few passes on each side. You can take more material off on the first pass or two, and then you have to turn the dial down to only take about 1/32 or 1/64 of an inch on the final passes on each side to get a smoother finish.

dwollam, Stogy, tb33anda3rd and 3 others like this.
  17. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

This truck has come a long way! Looking great. You saved one that many would have thrown away. :cool:

18. I have the wood laid out, I have a couple extras in case I make a mistake. IMG_1724.JPG IMG_1725.JPG

brEad, dwollam, TFoch and 7 others like this.
  19. this is a picture Charlie has been using as his inspiration.
    IMG_4694.jpg

Gotgas, dwollam, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Will the boards be free floating or will you add biscuits'? I've got a DeWalt cutter if you need one. Bob

TFoch and loudbang like this.
  21. the boards will be clamped down with bed strips. I will cut a bevel down each side of the boards .

ct1932ford, TFoch, nunattax and 2 others like this.
  22. went to the slacker's to fit the pieces I made. he has decided to not raise the bed an inch so I had to change my design. I will need to make the side pieces longer and run the brace behind the shocks instead of above. IMG_1726.JPG IMG_1727.JPG

brEad, Stogy, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  23. he has been busy. he put the front fenders on and the light bar and was working on wiring the head lights. IMG_1728.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG

brEad, patmanta, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  24. he also found these cool running lights that will get mounted to the top of the fender. he cleaned them up, rewired them, new sockets and some paint. IMG_1731.JPG IMG_1732.JPG IMG_1733.JPG electrlite

brEad, patmanta, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  25. I went back to my shop and bent up some longer side angle and welded the notches I put in the cross brace back in IMG_1736.JPG

brEad, Stogy, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  26. I took the boards and decided which side s would be the face side, then cut the best end square. IMG_1737.JPG
    IMG_1738.JPG

Stogy, dwollam, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  27. I then marked for the rabbets that will run down each side of the boards. there will also be a 1/4" space between the boards to allow the carriage bolts to pass between them. I then set the fence to 5/8" and lowered the blade to a 1/4" and made the face cut on the boards. IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1740.JPG IMG_1741.JPG

brEad, Stogy, dwollam and 7 others like this.
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

what about similar grooves on the underside to try and prevent cupping at least 3!.

Stogy, tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  29. I know they use grooves on the underside of flooring but I have never seen it on truck bed wood. maybe because the bed wood is exposed to the air on both sides and flooring gets trapped against another surface with only one side exposed? interesting thought and I could just run a few with my router and a beading bit.

Stogy and TFoch like this.