Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fixing a broken shift lever, aka stupid cold weather!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fraz, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Ok, so it's colder than (insert cliche here) outside. I'm drivin the Byooik home, get home, put the girl in park, and SNAP! The shifter handle comes off in my hand. Apparently nearly 49 years of use, plus the cold weather decided it's fate tonight, and it snapped off in my hand. Least the Byooik's in park, so no fear of car moving.

My question is this: How much of a pain in the butt is this gonna be to fix? I think I can get the broken parts outta the column rather easily, but again I could be wrong. Has anyone attempted to weld a shifter back together? Or am I just SOL till I find someone parting out a 60 Buick and can get them to send me that part??

I will post pix soon as it's light in case anyone wants to see. Break is clean, right flush with where it goes into the column (of course!)

2. Dont know about the Byooik but I snapped a 69 Chevy PU shifter off. The later ones break by a roll pin, Rocky saved my in 2 days with a fresh shifter. Lots of parts up here ifffin you need me to look. T

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Glad to see you got her home ! Sounds like too much racing , slaming the shifter from second to third ! Isn't a roll pin holding it in the column ? Maybe you can find another or will something else from another car work . If not it's a good reason to put in a floor shifter ! Good Luck !