Register now to get rid of these ads!

FIX:Master cylinder pushrod too short

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sapple89, Jan 23, 2014.

1. sapple89

sapple89
    from SOCAL

My push rod is about 4" too short. I was thinking about cutting a 4" bolt and stick it in the master cylinder. Can anyone think why this might not be a good idea?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

As long as you are driving in CA and I am in NY I see no problem with it at all. The people you potentially kill when you brake pedal jams may have an issue with it.

3. fsae0607

fsae0607

It is not a good idea because brakes are a safety item and you never mickey-mouse it. Get the right pushrod, or cut down a longer one.

4. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

If you are willing to do that I would like a picture of the rest of the car!

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Should work about as well as this

[​IMG]

GTO_MUSCLE_SS likes this.
  6. sapple89

sapple89
    from SOCAL

Maybe this will help......

[​IMG]

7. fsae0607

fsae0607

8. chubbie

chubbie

four inches is a lot, but I've made many brake push rods (almost every car i've built) is it a strait push? if its not you have to many things going on at one time. Use ..maybe a grd 5 or better bolt that looks right. weld ends on. i try to make them adjustable useing the treads on the bolt. If you have the skills to do this it's a no brainer

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So the master is not the correct one for the booster.

10. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

For all you naysayers.......I am currently using a bolt with a heim on the threaded end for adjustability on a manual system. I've had no problem whatsoever in 6 years.

I cut the bolt to length, chucked it up in a drill and rounded the MC end on a belt sander.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  11. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

There's a pill for that right?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

12. Looking at your pic brings to mind a couple safety-related items.
    1) lose the power booster. Given it's size, it's as likely to work as my wife's dog. Which is also small...And that may make up all you are lacking in rod length.
    2) I hope that firewall is braced on the backside, because the utter lack of bracing on the engine side means that the brake master will be bending the firewall, to the point of fracturing. And you may be surprised how quickly, as well.
    3) Do not try filling the master with a bolt to make up for lack of rod length, the real danger is that the pushrod might fall out, leaving you with no brakes.

Cosmo

13. fsae0607

fsae0607

I was referring to the two-piece rod idea that is unsafe. A MC rod should be one-piece. Just want to be clear about that :)

14. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

Now that thing just screams traditional.

Different length adjustable push rods are available. Sumit or Jegs has them, and from the pic shown, you def have one of their catalogs.

15. classic gary

classic gary

Which one is short? The one from the pedal to the booster or the one from the booster to the master. If the latter, then you've got the wrong master cylinder, if the former, Speedway has a nice kit with lots of parts for lots of adjustability.

16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thank god im surrounded by water

17. badshifter

badshifter

Nope...